§ 9 § (BWWM)

MIXING

Agreeing to date Asher Greenfield came with several levels of trials.

First, Sorrow knew her mother would never accept the idea of her daughter dating an older man. The fact that he was white and quite wealthy was a whole other situation.

Most of her family believed that white people were inherently evil. Her kinfolks did not under any circumstances condone mixing due to the bad relations between the black and white communities in the past and present times.

Second, her mother worked for the Greenfields for quite some time. Even though she knew Asher to be a responsible, reliable man, he was white. Not only was he white, but Sorrow's mother also sided with her former client even though she knew that woman regularly cheated on her husband.

Marie Greenfield was a shameless individual. She went on to make negative assertions about Asher in the hopes of bringing him to a public shame by humiliating him with her numerous affairs.

Finally, no matter if Asher possessed all the good qualities in the world, he was still an older white man. If he were an older black man, her mother would have a problem with the man's age. But she would most likely give in. Because he wasn't black, Asher didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell with her mother.

No matter what.

§§§

UNJUST

She tried with everything in her soul to explain to her mother that Asher was the one. But, Sorrow didn't have it in her to punish him for something he didn't do.

No matter how she pleaded with her mother to understand, the older woman refused to accept her daughter's new relationship.

Binnie stuck to her beliefs even though they were wrong. Finally, Sorrow grew tired of the discussion that had no end.

"I know you're trying to look out for me, but Asher is a good man. He has treated me better than anyone else. After consulting with me, he only makes decisions and always with my feelings in mind." She tried to help her mother better understand.

"Sweetheart, I know you think this is right, but it isn't. That man is way too old for you. Calling him your boyfriend doesn't even make sense. He is old enough to be your daddy. What could the two of you possibly have in common? This relationship is laughable because it is just so ridiculous." Binnie spoke the words as if they tasted like bile.

"When I was with Maurice, he didn't care anything about me. Even if they negatively impacted me, he always made decisions, and I dealt with them. Is that what you want for me? Do you want me to be cheated on and treated like I don't matter?" Sorrow was so vexed with her mother's stubbornness that tears began to stream down her cheeks.

How could she care about anyone who would rather see her suffer if only to please those who would never accept an interracial relationship? Sorrow had enough of the good-for-nothing men who wanted to use her.

Asher was a good man. He cared about her.

"Baby girl. I can't stand the idea of that white devil messing up your head and leaving you to the wolves." Her mother tried to explain.

"Are you serious? You call him a white devil? Does that even make sense? Every devil I have ever encountered has been the men who were supposed to protect me. So why should I continue to suffer for the out-of-touch ideas you have in your head? Why should I turn away a good man who loves me because his skin is white?" Rivers flowed crashing down her cheeks as she cried so much it became painful for the young woman to see or speak.