Chapter 2: Fashion

The lights dimmed and the white fluorescent stage was all Marinette could see. Her heart pounded in her chest and she gripped Alya's hand tightly. The red-head laughed. "Excited girl?"

"You have no idea," breathed Marinette, smiling brightly.

She could practically picture the designs, each hand stitched by the one and only Jean-Paul. His latest collection had been attributed to the akumas Ladybug and Chat Noir would fight in hopes of having both superheroes return to the public eye after so many years.

The prospect made Marinette even more nervous. It'd been years since she last saw her beloved partner and each passing month only made her hatred for him grow stronger. She'd tried to fight it in the beginning, but his disappearance paired with Adrien moving was too much to bear. She needed someone –anyone who'd possibly understand.

But Chat Noir was long gone and despite the hope budding inside her, she wasn't sure whether she was ready to see him again.

Music bellowed from the speakers in tune with the lasted song by XY and Marinette was enthralled as the models walked onstage. Their steps were flawless with shades of colors that matched their skin tones perfectly.

She wanted to admire them, to take notes and enjoy the show like Alya was, taking pictures to post for her latest article on the Ladyblog, but she couldn't. Memories flooded back to her, swallowing her until she was trapped in visions of the past.

All those fleeting moments with Chat Noir, the innocent flirting, the way he held her, the way he sacrificed himself for her and the way he –

Marinette turned her head away from the stage and whispered loudly, "I need some air." Alya looked confused, but Marinette had already made up her mind. Standing from her seat, she hurried away from the seated audience towards the nearest door and ran outside until her eyes fell on the stars.

Breathing heavily, Marinette brought her hands to her chest and tried to numb the dull ache that was surging through her. The cold air against her flushed skin did little to bring her out of her pained fantasies, of a simpler time with a cat who loved a ladybug.

He didn't love her though, he couldn't have. Not after what he did to her –how he hurt her.

"Marinette!" called Alya. She turned her head back to see Alya rushing out the glass doors toward her, her orange dress trailing on the pavement behind her. "Are you okay?" she asked frantically, "You look exhausted."

She did her best to smile, but the muscles in her face were too weak. "I'm fine. You should go back inside to take more pictures. I don't want you to miss out on anything."

"But I'm not," she replied, "I asked Alice to take pictures for me. As an assistant it's about time she pulled her weight around." Alya laughed halfheartedly but when she saw Marinette wasn't joining in she stopped.

She fiddled with her glasses, clearing her throat and placed her hand on Marinette's shoulder. "Are you really okay with being here? I know you said you'd love to come, it's just that I know it must be hard...with everything that happened."

Marinette laughed bitterly, "You mean dropping out of high school." She shook her head and sighed, "I thought I'd be used to it by now, but it's just that..." Her voice trailed off as she took one long look at the building.

Everyone always told her she was talented, that she had something special no other designer had. Even Adrien had believed in her. How disappointed he must be.

I really hope I get to model your designs one day.

She shouldn't care though. He hadn't called in the beginning like he'd promised instead choosing to ignore all their messages, phone calls and voicemails like they were his fans instead of his best friends. She'd waited those first few months, but after a year had passed she knew he'd forgotten them.