Chapter 11 ∞ Melancholy

Start from the beginning

"I got something new I'm working on," I said.

"Oh, really? What about that book you were reading?"

"I finished it last week!" I exclaimed cheerily.

"Well, then, show your auntie."

I helped her through the halls and entered my room.

"Is the window open?" she asked me.

"Mistress Veronika told me to air out my room," I said.

"Yes, your room does smell...strongly."

"Would you like a pillow?" I offered, placing it on the floor for her to get comfortable on.

"Thank you." She took knelt on the pillow and placed her cane on the space beside her. Safia sniffed. "Vanilla, roses. If I'm not mistaken...violets, too."

"Wow, how did you know that?"

"I have a keen nose, child. Now close your windows. Tell me what it is you've been busy with."

"Last week, mama and I went out of the Oblivion to take a test in the War College. You won't believe what happened!" I reached up to close my windows, shutting them tight and retreating to my desk in the corner.

I continued chatting away to Safia as I worked about my tools. The bottles clinked and I shuffled about busily as I resumed my work with the oils. Safia was a patient listener and I knew she was paying attention to everything I was saying. I blankly began to narrate about our day out last week and what I have been busy with, occasionally falling silent as I concentrated on my current project.

"Safia," I began.

"Yes, child?"

"What about you? Where did you go last week?"

"There were some matters you mistresses needed done. I'm sorry I wasn't able to watch over you."

"It's okay. My mistresses spent time with me. I had someone different watching me every night! I exclaimed. "Is it true that blind people have better hearing than others?"

She chuckled. "No, Evyionne. That is not true."

"But you seem to always know what I'm doing even if you don't see what I'm doing," I told her as I funneled the oil into a dark bottle and shook it around, after which I began to add the alcohol. It would act as a preservative.

"We simply learn to listen and pay attention better," she said. "Sometimes, the more you see, the less you perceive. When you learn to focus and observe, you will realize you miss a lot of things. It doesn't take only the eyes to see, after all."

I rolled my shoulders and rose from my corner with the bottle in hand. I padded over to the woman, tracing her wrinkled forehead and creased eye corners with my gaze before reaching up to offer the bottle to her. "Tell me what you think."

She leaned towards the scent and took a few whiffs. She smiled. "Evyionne...I do not know what to say...It is exquisite."

This was one of the scents my mother from my previous life cocktailed. After taking a week, I finally have a...somewhat similar output. It was still a bit different, though. I didn't think I would be able to find strictly similar replacements with the ingredients she used on hers. On the other hand, I felt this scent had its own charm. It had a stronger, more lasting finish compared to my mother's brew and it had a more sensual curve upon hitting the nose.

"Where did you pick this up, child?" she asked. "It smells wonderful!"

"Thank you." I grinned wide with victory.