8 • Rethinking Strategy

EMBRY'S POV

I thought briefly of the fact that it had been almost four years ago that I imprinted on Rebecca. It was the last coherent thought I had as our lips finally met.

It was soft, almost innocent at first. The slightest contact though sent shock waves through my entire system. I had never experienced anything like it. It felt so...right...so perfect. I was overwhelmed with the need to continue the kiss. I didn't think I'd ever be able to let Rebecca go again.

The kiss deepened, my lips parting to trace the line of her mouth with my tongue. She started to respond by parting her own lips, but she suddenly froze and pushed against my chest. I reluctantly pulled back and opened my eyes to watch horrified realization enter hers. She shook her head in disbelief.

"What am I doing?" She whispered almost to herself.

Not what are you doing, but what am I doing. It pained me that she readily accepted the blame for what just happened.

"It wasn't your fault," I tried to reassure her. "It was mine. I'm sorry...I shouldn't have kissed you like that. I only meant to comfort you...it just got out of hand."

She pushed against my chest again, almost desperately.

"Let me go...please," she pleaded.

My arms dropped immediately to my sides against my will. Rebecca quickly turned and fled the break room. I heard her enter the women's bathroom across the waiting area. The lock in the door made a resounding click. Her muffled cries reached my ears and my stomach twisted.

I took a deep breath and ran a shaky hand through my hair, before making my way back into the waiting room. Billy had fallen asleep in his chair. Ness was looking at a magazine. She looked at me and smiled, but I noticed her face looked strained. Before I could even take a seat, Jacob walked up to me. He looked furious.

Shit! I had forgotten all about Jake and Ness. They had probably heard my entire exchange with Rebecca.

"You and I need to talk," Jake said.

I nodded and followed him out of the waiting room. We kept going until we exited the hospital and entered the night air. We walked until we reached a park that wasn't too far down the road. Jacob didn't say anything for a moment as he came to a stop, staring out in the distance. His jaw was clenched tight and I knew he was trying to hold onto his temper.

"Look I know what you're going to say," I told him. "I shouldn't have kissed her."

"No, you shouldn't have," Jake snapped. "Rebecca is terrified for Rach right now. And what do you do? You freaking add to her confusion by kissing her. Not only does she have to deal with the fact that her twin might die, but she now she gets to feel like she betrayed Ian. What the fuck were you thinking?"

"Like I said..." My blood was beginning to boil. "I didn't mean to kiss her. I just couldn't fight it any longer. I needed my imprint tonight."

"Don't give me that shit. This isn't about the pull you feel to your imprint. You were thinking with your dick."

Fury like I had never felt erupted over me. If I had been a new wolf, I would have phased by now. As it was, I could barely contain myself as I shouted, "Fuck you."

I lunged at Jacob. My fist flew and connected with his chin. I heard a sickening crack as his jaw dislocated. Swearing, Jacob reached up and popped it back in place. He eyed me warily as I stood shaking to the point that I was blurring.

"Calm yourself Embry," Jacob demanded.

"I don't take orders from you anymore remember?" I yelled. "You're not my Alpha."