MY MIZZY

The life of moving from one shelter to another as a seven-year-old, had long since taken it's toll on me. The wind blew the long black shimmering strands of my mother's hair across her face as she slung them back with weakness. She pulled me along down the near empty streets of Detroit, checking to see which shelters room had, what was open...what place was safe.

I looked up at her as she wore a light jacket, her eyes baggy with exhaustion. Each step she slouched looking to be her last. It had been two hours since we left. It was early morning and here we were late spring on the move, but it was for good reason.

I still trembled from that reason, but my mind was at peace. I hated to think about it. I did all I could to block it out, but I feared it would stay with me for the rest of my life. I thought Charles was a nice man to tell you quite honestly.

Charles was a helper at the shelter we had been staying at for the last 4 months. He used to bring my mother and I flowers, take us out for lunch, and always played games with me. I never would have thought that he...

He came over while everyone was sleep including my mother. I always had trouble sleeping in the shelters, too many people I guess, not to mention the voice in my head always wanted to talk. He slowly peeked over the dozens of cot and scouted me tucked into the bosom of my mother, on a cot that could barely fit the both of us.

He smiled big. His smile was always warm and assuring. I used to dream that he'd be the one to take my mother and I away from this place, away from this dark depression that only seemed to devour and take all that you were.

I looked up with a smile as our eyes met, and he waived me over. I slowly took my mothers arm, which was tightly wrapped around me, and gently put it at her side. I slipped on my warn winter boots and crept over to where he was.

He crouched over to me and smiled. "Rai, I can't believe your still up, is everything ok?"

I nodded with a smile. "It's just Mizzy...she won't stop talking."

He shook his head. "Well guess what I have a great idea that I think you and Mizy can help me with!"

"Really, what's that?" I whispered.

"Well, I wanted to surprise everyone in the shelter with a big breakfast...but I sure can't do it on my own, you want to help?"

I nodded with excitement. I had no idea how to cook, in fact I don't even recall ever stepping foot in a kitchen, but It was better than trying to sleep.

He gently took my hand and guided me down the darkened halls of the shelter. The sounds of rats scurrying, and the frequent rattles of the pipes kept me on edge, but I knew I was alright with Charlie. He was like a beacon of light guiding me to freedom.

We slowly crept down the staircase heading down to the basement, and I slowly began to grow fearful of the ensuing darkness, even with the grasp of Charlie's hand, that I slowly noticed began to tighten aggressively around my hand.

I swallowed hard, it felt like a rock rolling down my throat, as a strange feeling of fear replaced my hope. "Charlie...is this the way to the kitchen?"

He nodded and turned with another reassuring smile, but quickly faded as he continued down the hall. I began to slowly plant my feet, but the warn soles of my boots no longer had any grip, and the slight screech of boots dragging to the ground, filled me with fear.