Just a Game

I wake up, screaming and surrounded by a pool of sweat.

My nightmare was horrible..... so, so horrible. My family.... in the games...

Tears streamed down my face.

Not real... not real...

I hear a pounding on my door.

"Rise and shine Rue, it's going to be a big day!"

The Games are today. Already. I can't believe it's been a week. No, no, no.

I savour my last moment in this huge, comfy bed. It may never be again.

I force myself out of bed, out of my room, and towards the dining room. Everyone greets me with sad eyes.

Dixie comes forward to give me a hug.

"Goodbye Rue, my thoughts go with you. It's been great to know you."

I nod, and turn to Thresh. He nods at me, will we meet again?

I eat a quick breakfast. I'm not hungry, but I know I need to eat. I don't know how much food I'll have in the arena.

Thresh and I finish our breakfast, and Ashleen comes to say goodbye.

We hug. "I'll miss you Rue."

"I will miss you too."

"Do your best, I'll help you as much as I can."

I nod in reply, and Dixie leads us out.

We arrive in the lobby where Thresh's stylist is waiting for him, and Tallulah for my. I say goodbye to Dixie, than Tallulah leads me briskly out, followed by peacekeepers.

We are escorted to a hovercraft. Our stylists go into one room, and all of the tributes in another. A Capitol lady is going around, holding something in her hand.

She reaches me.

"Give me your arm."

I stretch and she presses the thing up to my arm.

"Your tracker."

It's like a needle, but 10 times worse. It's quite painful, but not enough to make me scream.

I look around the room, and see a Katniss staring at me. She smiles and I smile back. I feel the hovercraft land and everyone piles out, Tallulah once again waiting.

Peacekeepers take us to a small room with a tube in the centre. That is what I will be lifted up in to get to the arena.

Tallulah hands me some clothes. "Put these on, this is your tribute outfit."

I do as she says quickly. Not much time left...

I spot a glass of water. I'm so thirsty. Tallulah must've seen me eying it, as she gives it to me without a word.

I can tell she won't care if I died. Not at all. I finish my water just as I hear a female voice:

30 seconds

Shakily, I turn to Tallulah, and to my surprise, she hugs me. Somewhere, she must have a soft spot for twelve year olds.

"Good luck Rue."

"Thank you," I whisper back.

I turn and face my tube. 10 seconds.

I step in, and as I do, the tube closes completely.

No going back, but I couldn't anyway.I'm trapped. I feel the tube rising, the last thing I see being Tallulah giving me a small wave then exiting. Last glance of the outside world I'll probably get.

I feel like crying. This is all so surreal, but I have to stay strong.

For a moment, I am blinded by a bright light, but it stops and I can make out the Cornucopia and ring of tributes. The Cornucopia is piled with weapons, backpacks, everything, and on top of it is a big projector screen.

I hadn't noticed the countdown had begun.

49, 48, 47, 46, 45

I look down near my feet, and lucky for me there is a small loaf of bread and a backpack.

Great.

25, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20

No one has stepped off their plate. None of us are dead. Not for long.

The arena is a forest this is good, this is good. My mind is jumping from one thought to another, but that doesn't stop me for hearing these final words:

5,4,3,2,1!

A gong goes off, and the games begin.

If only this was just a game.

~~~

A/N

Hey guys!

Pre games are done. Woohoo!

Hope you are liking it so far, and sorry for the shortness (if u consider this chapter short)

:D I'll try to update soon but no promises.

Enjoy! >.<