A night on the train

I walk through the train, amazed at the luxurious and comfortable interior. Chairs, tables, chandeliers, and food. So much food. I couldn't believe my eyes. And also, I was quite confused. We are here to die, yet they give us the best accomodation and food imaginable. It doesn't make sense.

Dixie starts talking "Now as you can see, this is where we will eat, and your rooms are down there." She points down the hallway. "We will be here for two nights, and then we will arrive at the Capitol. Ok, now that's settled, I'll go find Ashleen and then we can have lunch." Dixie turned the opposite way and walked through the automatic sliding door.

Thresh and I sat down waiting. It was an awkward silence. Would he end up to be my killer?

"Are you ok Rue?" asked Thresh.

I didn't say anything. I was scared.

"You can talk to me you know," said Thresh. "I'm not going to hurt you. We can be allies if you like. I understand your situation."

"You want to ally with me?" I said. "Why?"

Thresh looks at me with sad eyes. "I want to help you Rue, and I hope you accept my offer. I think that we will make a pretty good team. We could make it."

I don't know what to do. Should I turn this down? It would help me heaps, but Thresh has a life and family too, right?

I look at his expression. He is expecting an answer from me. " I appreciate you thinking of me Thresh, I really do. But I don't think it is fair, I'll just bring you down faster. But thank you for your offer."

He looks at me in disbelief. I know what he is thinking. How could someone be so stupid to not accept some type of assistance in a fight to the death game, when your only twelve? But I've made my mind up, this is fair.

"Ok, if you are sure. But if you do need help, if I can just know I'll try to help you."

I nod and Ashleen and Dixie walk in. Thresh and I are silent.

"Who's hungry?" Dixie says

No one answers her. This dampens her mood, and she sighs. "You have to eat something, come on now everyone up." We all walk to the table and sit down.

More people enter the room, both male and female. I don't know who they are, but they never say anything. They just stand and wait on us and serve us. I learn that these people are named Avox's.

Lunch was amazing. We had some sort of bird, that tasted like chicken. I had only tried chicken once, and ever since then I have loved it. But in District 11, that sort of food was considered fancy and we never ate it. There were lots of drinks but I only had water. Lots and lots of delicacies too, cakes and biscuits and everything else that you could think of. I filled myself completely, and excused myself.

I left the table, Avox's cleaning after me. I walked in the direction Dixie had pointed to, leading to my bedroom. I opened a door, and looked inside.

In the centre of the room was a huge bed, bigger then I had ever seen. I had my own bathroom as well, and I found a device that would give me clothes that I could choose from and another thing that when I selected food it gave it to me.

On my bedside table I found a weird curvy remote. I had no idea what it did, so as a tester, I slide my finger along it.

I looked up, and the blank white wall in front of me had turned into a busy Capitol street background. I slide my finger on it again, and a forest filled with trees came up. I realised that there was a background for each district, so I tried to find one for 11.

And I finally did. I looked up and gasped. In front of me was a beautiful orchid of trees, surrounded by farm land. Just like home.

Home.

It feels so far away. I miss my family already as well. Do they miss me? Of course they would. A tear escapes my eye. I have to make it back home, I have to.

Suddenly I feel a wave of tiredness roll over me. I fall into bed, my eyes drooping. I'll just take a little nap, I think to myself, and find myself falling asleep.

I wake with a jolt. I look around me, I am not in the arena, thank goodness. I look around my room, tried to find the time. 6:30! Wow, that was more then a nap. I get out if bed and stretch.

There is a knock on my door, it's Ashleen.

"Rue, are you awake? We are just about to have dinner."

"Sorry, I'm coming," I reply. I walk over to the clothes thing on the wall, and look through my options.

I pick out a pair of leggings and a plain green t-shirt, green is my favourite colour.

I change out of my Reaping clothes, and notice a hand made wooden necklace I got from my parents on my birthday a long time ago. This will be my token, I think. A piece of home. I'd forgotten I was wearing it.

I exit my room and find everyone waiting at the table for me, just about to eat. For dinner, it's a sort of soup made from meat and vegetables. It's delicious, and no one says a word while we eat. I finish last, and sit back in my chair, stuffed and tired again. I don't want anymore, but-

"Time for dessert!" Says Dixie. Onto my plate is placed a cheesecake with mixed berries. I also love this, and somehow force myself to eat it all.

Ashleen breaks the silence once we are all done eating. "Alright everyone, who would like to watch the recap of the Reapings?"

I look at Dixie, I can tell she wants to. So does Ashleen by the sounds of it. I turned to look at Thresh, but he looks extremely exhausted, just like me. We both shake our heads.

"We could watch them tomorrow, early." I say.

Dixie looks reluctant, and Ashleen sympathetic. She knows we want to go to bed.

"Fine you can watch it tomorrow." Dixie exclaims. "But as for me I'm watching them now."

" You two go get some well deserved sleep." Ashleen says and with that she follows Dixie out of the dining area.

Thresh and I head to our bedrooms, and before entering say a quick goodnight. That's it, we both go inside and shut the doors.

I decide to sleep in the clothes I'm wearing, one because they are comfortable and two I really am not bothered to do anything else.

I fall into bed, and once again go to sleep pretty fast. And to my surprise, I have a peaceful and dreamless sleep.