False Sense of Security

It’s been two days since Katniss was stung and I had used the healing leaves on her. Since then I’ve changed them twice, making them less irritated. During this time, the boy from 10 has died, presumably from the Career’s. He was the boy that tried to kill me on my first day.

I see Katniss stir, and quickly hide behind a thick tree. She might think I’m someone else. She sits up, and pulls the leaves from her neck and arm, looking confused. Then she sees the bow. Pulling the quiver down from where I placed it, she examines the arrows in her fingers. But I still see her confusion, knowing that she knows she is not where she last was.

She gets up, taking the bow and arrows with her and spots the tree I’m hiding behind. What a dumb place to hide, so obvious. She gets closer, closer, bow at the ready when suddenly she is up against the tree.

 Katniss peers around, and she must see me because she says, “Rue?” Her warm voice, directed to me, forces my body to lean over so I’m completely in her view. “It’s ok, I’m not going to hurt you,” she says, and smiles.

“Hi,” I say, still on alert, but more relaxed than before.

“Thank you for helping me with the Tracker Jackers, it was such a great idea.”

“You’re welcome,” I reply, when suddenly my stomach growls.

“Hungry?” she laughs, and says “me too, how ‘bout we go get something to eat?”

I nod, and we start walking. I can tell she is focused, because she doesn’t make a sound, even when she walks. She must hunt in the forest near 12, so I follow her lead.

We come across a group of birds, and Katniss draws her bow. Accurately, she perfectly shoots it, and the rest of the birds fly away, while we are left with the one she shot. We’ll get a good meal out of it, it’s pretty big.

We take it back to a new spot, and together build a fire and Katniss skins and cooks the bird. We both take a leg, and start to eat.

I nearly have finished mine, when she says, “You want mine too?” I look at it, tempted.

“No that’s ok.” She chuckles, seeing past the mask on my face as I try to hide my hunger.

“Here, have mine,” and she gives her bit to me.

“Thanks,” I say, and start eating it, grateful for the food that I would have never caught, and for Katniss sitting next to me.

“How long was I asleep?” she asks, and between eating I answer “Couple of days, I changed your leaves twice.”

She looks at me deeply. “Thank you.” I don’t reply, but she starts taking again. “So what happened while I was out?”

“The girl from 1 and the boy from 10,” I tell her, mentioning Glimmer just in case she didn’t remember.

“And the, uh, boy from my district?” she says nervously as if trying to hide something.

I grin, knowing the rumours. “Yeah he’s ok. I think he’s down by the river.” She nods and falls silent. I can’t help myself asking “Is all that true, you know, you and him?” I say the last part all lovey-dovey.

She doesn’t reply, only by laughing, and continues. “So where are Cato and the others?”

“They’ve got all their supplies down by the lake. It’s piled up in this great big pyramid.”

I can tell gears are turning in her mind, especially when she smiles and says “That sounds tempting.”

I smile back, is a plan forming? But both of us drop the subject. We kill the fire, get rid of the evidence we were here, and start wondering away.

By the end of the day, we are both exhausted and when night fell we decided to climb a tree and go to sleep, no cannons booming tonight. Smiling, I fall asleep on Katniss’s chest, feeling content that I have at least on friend in the world to get me by all the bad things that are happening. All these emotions I feel, but I know I have to get past my false sense of security. I’m not safe here, and neither is Katniss.

Only one of us will live, or we will both die, and there is nothing we can do about it.

************************************************************************************************************

A/N Hello everybody!!!!!!!!!!

I’m super happy, I’m on holidays!!!!! Two months of freedom :D But I’m sad, because the end of this book is approaching and I think there will only be about two more chapters to go. But you guys have got me through, and I hope you liked this update!

Also, I saw Mockingjay part 1 with @ariel58058 and @PartyPig_Hopey on the 21st and it was amazing!!! If you’ve seen it, comment what you thought!

Vote for the next chapter coz I've already written it, so if you want it fast, vote it up! 

da_happy_mockingjay