At The Helm

"I'm proud of you, love." Killian leaned down over where I was sitting with my books and pressed a tender kiss to the top of my head. I groaned in reaction to his compliment and pushed my textbook away with a heavy, bone-deep sigh.

"I can't imagine why. I haven't done anything worthy of being proud of." It was true. I had finals coming up the following week and had been *trying* to bust my butt studying. But it was an utter failure. Between issues with my sisters, a busy house, noise, and chaos, it was impossible to get any work done at home. That's why I had taken off right after school on Friday to join Killian on the Jolly. At least here I could get some peace, but the warmth of the sun's rays, the smell of the salt breeze, and the sounds of the waves lapping at the hull of the ship.... It was far more intoxicating than studying.

"You've made a lot of progress in your books." He made a motion to the pile of things I've finished and picked up my notebook from my mathematics course. It was open to a page where I'd been copying equations and he frowned. "...what is this? Some sort of runic text?" He waggled his dark eyebrows suggestively.

He wasn't serious of course, as Killian had seen the type of math I was required for class before, but his feigned confusion served its purpose in bringing forth a laugh from me and he smiled. "See? It's not all bad." He gifted me with a light kiss before stepping away and removing his duster.

"I'm relieving Aikens of helm duty tonight," Came the explanation to my puzzled look. It was edging on sundown which usually meant that Killian and I would be joining the crew for dinner before retiring to his quarters for the night, but, obviously, that wasn't happening now.

"Why? What's wrong?" I reached across the table and retrieved my literature notes.

"Made a bet at lunch that he could finish off the bottom of the pot," Killian pulled the left sleeve of the shirt he'd just changed into so he could reattach his hook and the clicking noise it made was familiar and comforting. What an odd thing to be attached to; the sound of his hook clicking home.

As I pondered the oddities that made me who I was, I became oblivious to Killian's talking and it must have become obvious because before I knew it I was being snatched out of my chair and carefully thrown over his shoulder as he laughed like a maniac.

"Wha- Killian!" Too busy laughing to fight, I squirmed against Killian as he placed me atop his bed and began tickling my sides. "Mercy! Ah- St- stop!"

He pulled back with a shit-eating grin and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "That's more like it."

"What is?"

"I haven't seen you smile since you started reading those bloody books," Moving to help me sit up, and then smoothing my hair down, Killian smiled. "Now, what do you say you take a break from your studies and join me at the helm, hmm?"

"I'd love to," My arms went around his neck and I kissed him slowly.

"Mmm... I've been far too busy of late..." Killian tilted my head back with his thumb and I parted my lips against his. It was a slow, passionate dance that we had engaged in many, many times. But no matter how many kisses we shared, each one was as magical as our first. With butterflies in my stomach, and my cheeks darkening in a blush... it wasn't hard for Killian to make me feel like a shy schoolgirl each and every time we kissed.

It was just as his hand was wandering up my bare thigh and daring to push under the material of my sundress that a shout at the open hatch had us jumping apart. "Cap'n? Are yeh still takin' the helm? Aikens is a right sore sight. Blowin' chunks all over th-"

"Yes, Mister Smee!" Killian's aggravated hollar was accompanied by him pulling away and wiping his mouth. "I will be up momentarily!" The look he gave me, from the top of my head down to my toes, was one of raw hunger and I couldn't help but bite my lip at the sight of his obvious arousal. I could tell how tempted he was to shirk off his duties to someone else for the sake of 'private time' in his quarters, but he'd already done that once this trip and I didn't like getting in the way of his responsibilities.

"I'll see you up on deck," As I passed him, I leaned in dangerously close and teased my tongue over his bottom lip. It brought forth a low growl from him, but still, I persisted. "Once you get *this* under control, that is." I teased a single fingertip over the bulge rising in his leathers and the breathy gasp that had Killian dropping his menacing look was almost enough to make me stay. God, how I loved to tease him.