The Fears of a First Year

Start from the beginning

"I agree," said Susan.

Marlene nodded. "I'm replacing Divination with Muggle Studies in the sixth year," she said. "In the meantime, you can teach us your games beforehand, if you like. I wouldn't mind learning more."

"Same," Judy and Susan agreed.

"There are some games that both worlds have," said Teddie. "Like, Snap, for example, the only difference being, in this world the cards explode when they're identical, in my world, you have to say the word 'snap". Chess is another game we have in common, again, the only difference being your chess pieces move and ours don't. I think the only game in both worlds that is the same, with no differences, except the name, obviously is Marbles - you call it Gobstones?"

Marlene nodded. "Jasmine loves Gobstones," she said. "She always beats me."

"She and Mason should play," Teddie said. "He used to be good."

"Used to be?" Marlene asked.

"Yeah, Mum and Dad won't let us play with Marbles anymore."

"How come?"

Teddie grimaced.

"Uh oh," said Derrick. "That look says it all. What did you do?"

"Nearly killed my Dad," Teddie answered, wincing.

Her friends stared at her.

"Not intentionally I hope," said Derrick.

Teddie shot him a look. "Of course not!" she exclaimed. "It was an accident!"

"What happened?" Daphne asked.

"Mason and I were playing Marbles outside our bedroom," said Teddie. "Why we weren't playing inside, I don't know, but, anyway, we just upped and left the game after a while, and forgot to clean up the balls. My dad came home from work, went upstairs to take a shower, stood on our abandoned game and fell backwards down the stairs."

The others winced.

"Sounds painful," said Derrick.

"Yeah, Mum wasn't happy," said Teddie. "Dad was bed-bound for a whole month, plus he couldn't work for a long time after. So, yeah, that's why Mason and I aren't allowed to play Marbles anymore."

"Yikes."

Teddie pursed her lips and nodded.

"How did your dad react?" Adrian asked. "Was he mad?"

Teddie's father had always seemed so mellow and laid back, but he had the feeling that being out of work for a long time was enough to crack his shell.

"He wasn't exactly pleased," said Teddie. "I don't blame him. But he wasn't, you know, furious."

"I'm guessing you got punished?" Judy asked.

"I did," Teddie nodded. "I told Mum and Dad that it was my fault. I told them that I had got up to make Mason a snack and forgot to go back and clean up the marbles."

"So, you took the blame?" Susan asked. "All of it?"

Teddie nodded.

"Why?"

"Mason was only six," said Teddie. "And he was really worried. I think the fall scared him, a lot because he kept crying to me about how Dad could've died. I didn't want to upset him more by him getting into trouble, so I took all the blame."

"You're a good sister, Ted, fair play," said Marlene. "Most siblings try to blame each other to get out of trouble."

Teddie shrugged. "My family means the world to me," she said. "Besides, what do I get out of getting Mason into trouble?"