"Wow, I thought you two were happy with each other. I had no idea."

Wesley looked down and replied, "No one did. Blake likes to keep up appearances, you know." He shrugged as he rubbed one of his feet on the asphalt.

We stood in silence for a couple seconds before he spoke again. "So, hows hangin' around the Dixons?"

I gave him a genuine smile and answered, "It's pretty cool. They are fun to be around. I think you would like them." It would be great if Wesley started to become friends with Rhett and the rest of them. I miss hanging out with him.

"Maybe if things were different in this town I would. I'm not as brave as you, Rae." He put his hand on my shoulder. A car honked behind Wesley, and Frankie waved her hand out the window. "I got to go, but it was nice talkin' to you. Maybe we can hang out like old times soon."

I nodded. "Yeah, that would be great. I'll see you around."

With that, Wesley ran to his car while I walked home. Sawyer and Rhett left school early to prepare for the party tonight. The entire walk, I had mixed emotions about Wesley, mostly because he wasn't the only one on my mind. When I got home, I took a shower to wash my feelings away, but of course it didn't work.

Savannah and Molly showed up at my house to get ready with me. It took a lot of convincing for Molly to come. She hasn't left her dad's side at the hospital since he got out of surgery. The doctor said he will be just fine, but Molly is still worried. I don't blame her, especially because that thing that attacked him is still out there.

I put on a long-sleeve, mid-length, burgundy dress with leggings and some boots. Looking in the mirror, I was excited, not just because of the party, but because I can wear fall attire now. Both of my friends seemed to have the same idea because Savannah wore a sweater with a cardigan and leggings while Molly had on an oversized sweater with jeans. They too looked at their reflections in the mirror with approving looks on their faces.

After they put on their boots, we climbed into Amma's car and made our way to the Dixons. The driveway to their house was as long as I remember. It didn't help that Savannah kept saying that she wanted to turn back because she was scared of being lured to a serial killer deep in the woods. Once we approach the outskirts of the property, she changed her mind. The sight in front of us made her forget about her negative thoughts. The boys decorated the trees, the house, and the garage with twinkling lights. It was absolutely stunning.

Gravel crunched underneath our feet as we made our way to the front door. Country music echoed around us as we approached the porch where Sawyer, Rhett, and Parker sat. Sawyer gave us a big, cheesy, smile when he saw our awe. "You like?"

Molly nodded while Savannah and I answered, "It's amazing!"

"You did this?" Savannah asked while she admired the scenery.

"Yeah, with the help of Rhett and Parker of course. It was actually Rhett's idea," he shrugged and motioned towards his friend.

I looked over at him, and we immediately locked eyes. His gaze was more intense than usual, making my knees seem weak. "I've never seen anythin' like it, even during Christmas time when the Lawsons go light crazy around town."

I saw a small smile tug at his lips. "I'm glad you like it," he simply replied, never breaking eye contact. He and the other two boys stood. "You guys haven't even gotten to where the party is."

My friends and I looked at each other with curiosity and followed them through the house to the back door. There were even more lights strung up above three round tables like a ceiling, and the music was a lot more louder here. The moment we stepped completely outside, my dad, Jason, Owen, and Issac jumped out from behind various furniture and yelled, "Surprise!"

My eyes widened in shock as I looked between them. "This is for me?" 

My dad walked up and enveloped me into a big hug. "Yes, it's for you. Happy birthday, kiddo."

"But my birthday isn't for another two weeks," I questioned. My brows furrowed at his answer.

"We wanted to throw you a party early here because I know you'll be having a big celebration with your mom and Gigi," my dad explained. "I wanted to do something special since I missed out on the last two birthdays."

A smile crept onto my lips. I can't believe that this is all for me, and that my dad is actually here for this. The only thing that would make this perfect is my mom being here with my dad. "I just wish that they could come celebrate here with us."

My dad let out a sigh and placed his hand on my cheek. "I know. Me too."

I leaned into his touch before turning to everyone else. "Thank you, guys. This is...this is great."

My dad gave me one more hug, followed by Sawyer before he approached my friends. "Molly. Savannah. You guys really grew up into fine, young ladies the last two years." Savannah and Molly smiled and laughed.

"Thank you, Mr. Haywood," Savannah replied.

Molly nodded. "It's good to see you doing well.  Rae really missed you."

My dad put his hands on their shoulders and nodded before going to the barbecue with Jason. Savannah began talking to Sawyer while Owen and Parker stole Molly away to show her their game room.

I wandered around under the lights and took in this moment of beauty. It was nice of my dad to do this for me, and it was nice of Rhett to hang all these lights. His green eyes kept appearing in my mind. Thinking about him made my lips want to twitch upwards, but I forced myself not to in case anyone was watching, which of course there was.

"I'd imagine that this is what stars would look like up close," Rhett's voice caused the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.

•••

A/N

Sorry for ending this chapter this way! The next one will be about Rae and Rhett. I promise! I am the type that loves slow-moving romances. Sorry. Lol I love the suspense and the feeling when they finally make a move or get together. It's torture, I know, but is worth it!

I seriously wrote this chapter and deleted it because I wasn't happy with it at all. I have no idea why this one chapter was so hard to write, but I finally got it done.

Thanks for reading! Comment and vote!(: