Abstaining From More than Food

Chapter 9: Abstaining From More than Food

Quote of the Day: "Allah (SWT) describes Ramadan as a prescription; one that cures the soul. In the eleven months outside of Ramadan; we spend time feeding our bodies, but tend to neglect and starve our souls. But in Ramadan, its the exact opposite; we starve our bodies, only to feed and replenish our souls. Revive your souls during this Blessed Month."

So you think that you're fasting. But are you really?

We all already know that Ramadan is a month in which we abstain from food. But it doesn't stop there. There are a certain type of people during this month who treat Ramadan like a burden. They think, that as long as they don't eat food from sunrise to sunset, they're done. All the brownie points are earned.

They couldn't be more wrong.

Ramadan is like a guest, if you don't treat it respectfully, then you will not be able to reap the full benefits from this merciful month. Say that you fast. Good, that's the first step. But if you continue to follow bad habits and behave in a rude manner while you are fasting--then you're fast is nothing but an empty stomach. Allah (SWT) does not need you to leave your food and drink if you don't leave your bad habits as well, to attempt to change for the better. The group of people mentioned before, think that fasting stops at food. But it doesn't no, fasting extends to your entire body.

Let's start with your tongue. What forms of sin can your tongue commit? Lying, cursing, gossiping and back biting... do they seem familiar? Well these are the most vicious forms of talk there are. Because in the end they hurt you. During Ramadan, you are supposed to curb your tongue; to keep yourself from lashing out at others.

How to Speak:

"Speak the truth." (Qur'an, 3:17)

"Speak straight." (Qur'an, 33:70)

"Speak justice." (Qur'an, 6:152)

"Speak kindly." (Qur'an, 2:83)

"Speak politely." (Qur'an, 17:53)

"Speak fairly." (Qur'an, 17:28)

"Speak graciously." (Qur'an, 17:23) 

"Speak gently." (Qur'an, 20:44)

"Speak not in vain." (Qur'an, 23:3)

"Speak no lie." (Qur'an, 20:30)

Let's move on to your eyes. In Ramadan, your eyes must be kept away from unlawful sights. I'm not going to go into detail, you know what's right and what's wrong. Remember, "your eyes are the windows to your soul", you have to guard your eyes. I know, as teens, quite frankly as humans, we are attracted to the opposite gender and tend to "check out" our peers. But that's not okay, you have to keep your eyes pure and chaste and for good reason too.

If you think that saying gossip is bad, than listening to it is just as bad. In Ramadan, our ears are to be kept away from listening to gossip as well as music. Instead of cranking up the volume on your iPod to jam to your favorite songs, why not listen to the recitation of the Qur'an. For those of you who use the excuse that you don't understand Arabic, then pull up the translation to the Qur'an. That way, you are listening to something not only beautiful, but beneficial. I can personally say, after tarawih prayer, on one occasion I was brought to tears by the glorious sound of the Qur'an.

Next up are your hands. Think back to kindergarten when there was the "keep your hands to yourself rule"? Kindergartners can keep their hands to themselves but surprisingly we have a harder time. Hopefully, this doesn't pertain to any of you, but in Ramadan our hands fast by not hitting our fellow man and not taking things that don't belong to us. Rather, we give, through zakkat, to others.

Finally we come to your feet. Your feet are like your personal built in car, they take you everywhere. Take a moment right now and thank Allah (SWT) for giving you two functioning feet, if you have them. There  are people out there who will never know what its like to take a simple stroll down the block. During Ramadan, instead of going off to the beach or driving to a concert, why not walk down those two blocks to the masjid? Do it today, because you might not have tomorrow. Trust me, it feels a whole lot better, praying all the rakats of tarawih instead of dancing away the night.

If haven't already, thank Allah, really thank Allah, sincerely for giving you what you have. Forget all your petty insecurities. If you have, two eyes, two ears, two hands, two feet, and a tongue, that function and work properly, then you have been gifted. GIFTED, by Allah. Now the question that remains, what will you do with these gifts?   

Ramadan Challenge #7: Make a pact, to change and be thankful for what you have today. Never complain about what you don't have, praise Allah (SWT) for what you do.