Chapter 18: Saving the Saving Grace

Bellamy paced the floor of the ship anxiously, his heart thundering in his ears as he watched a twelve year old girl try to save his best friend. There had to be something horribly ironic about this, the girl he left behind and thought to be dead turns up not dead but then dies a day later.

"No. Stop," He commanded himself, "She's not dead yet. Madi can save her."

Even he didn't believe himself. Judging by the worried and sick looks on their friend's faces, no one else was confident either.

"The bullets are in her side," Madi shouted, "If we can stop the bleeding and get her to one of our safe houses- there is medical equipment there. We have to hurry! Between the slits on her arms and the bullets, she's lost a lot of blood!"

Her voice broke at the end and it was clear she was trying not to sob. Bellamy's stomach dropped as he watched Harper and Emori tearing off strips of fabric to give to Madi to replace the ones already soaked through with blood.

"We're almost at the edge of the valley, Madi! Tell me where!" Raven shouted.

"I can't- Clarke!"

Her breathing was slowing down.

He raced over and took the loose cloth from Madi's hands.

"I've got her! Show Raven where to land!"

"Bellamy..." Came a weak whisper from beneath him.

"Hey, Clarke. I'm here, don't talk. You got shot,"

Her blonde hair was pasted to her face with sweat, and her blue eyes were struggling to stay alert as they were clouded with pain.

"You're going to be alright. You have to be," Bellamy said, trying desperately to keep the waver out of his voice.

"Medical kit," she gasped, "Under bed...Madi knows,"

"Okay, just stay with me,"

"Get the," Another painful gasp, "Bullets out, and..."

She was starting to fade.

"Clarke, Clarke!" He shouted, shaking her a bit.

"Leaves...sew shut...cold cloth...pressure...watch for...infection...and"

Her life was slipping away from under him faster than Bellamy could react. They had to get her to that kit fast.

"Clarke! Clarke, look at me! Please, what were you saying?!"

"Watch for..."

Her beautiful blue eyes slid shut. Her last breath expelled but a whisper.

"Fever..."

She sank into his arms, all resistance giving away.

"Madi! Raven!" Bellamy sobbed, holding her lifeless body, "We have to hurry! Clarke's dying!"

"I know that, Bellamy!" Raven shouted, through clenched teeth.

"No, she's completely lost consciousness! I can barely feel her pulse! If we don't find that safe house SHE'S GOING TO DIE RIGHT HERE!" He shouted, loosing it a little at the last part.

"Here!" Madi shouted, pointing to a small clearing beneath them.

"HOLD ON!" Raven shouted, "IT'S GOING TO BE ROUGH!"

With all the grace of a drunk Murphy (don't ask) they landed in the small clearing with only a few bumps and bruises, well, and a bleeding out woman.

"Quick!" Madi shouted, as Bellamy scooped the unconscious Clarke up in his arms.

"This way," They exited the ship in a hurry, gingerly stepping over the dead bodies of the guards.