01 : Take That Call

Chapter 1

"The police department thought that the first two dead bodies were result of suicides or drug deals gone wrong, but with five victims found across the town within a month, they began to suspect that those were homicides being committed by the same person," Sheriff Forbes announced at the group of supernatural beings sitting in front of her around a large wooden table.

"What do you mean by the same person, Liz?" Damon Salvatore spoke up, the detail hidden in her sentence sparking his interest.

"It means that although the autopsies didn't reveal any trace of human DNA, all the murders presented certain similarities, like the use of a knife to mutilate the victims and the positions the bodies were all left in," Elizabeth Forbes replied.

"Well, if none of the victims were drained out of their blood, those murders weren't executed by a vampire," Klaus Mikaelson interrupted.

"Then why the hell are we here?" Kol Mikaelson yawned out, streching out his arms. Although he was being a total douchebag, everyone in the room couldn't help but silently agree with him.

"Because I need your help to find this mad serial killer," the Sheriff explained, "This person needs to be locked away behind bars for good."

They all looked at each other in silence. Bonnie glanced around the table. She observed Elena Gilbert, Stefan and Damon Salvatore, Caroline Forbes, Tyler Lockwood, Enzo and the Mikaelson siblings before catching Kol staring and smirking in her direction.

She rolled her eyes. Even though they decided to stop hating each other and try to actually make an effort to be friends, Kol was still acting like a relentless jerk most times.

Old habits do die hard.

"Why would we do your dirty work? It's not like you don't have a degree in criminology," Tyler complained, furrowing his dark eyebrows.

"Caroline, would you mind telling them what's going on?" Forbes suggested, nodding towards her daughter.

She stood up and walked up next to her mother, her short blue sundress following her every movement. Bonnie noticed Klaus' acute gape towards her blonde haired vampire friend. Was he really gauging her seductively? No, her mind was probably playing tricks with her.

"One of the victims was one of my mom's colleagues and a founding family member as well, meaning he knew about vampires. The murderer might be a supernatural creature looking out for revenge and there's no way the rest of the police team would be able to fight against that kind of power," Caroline barely let out in one breath, "We have to protect them. The danger is greater than anything we've probably even ever faced."

"And what are we supposed to do? None of us have a clue on who this murderer is either," Stefan pointed out, "We can't all just jump onto the crazy investigation train without a ticket."

"My mom said the department would give us access to all the victims' files and a list of suspects and criminals," Caroline sighed.

The rather large group all looked at each other, all weighting the pros and the cons of the proposition that was being suggested. Sheriff Forbes held her breath. She was hoping everyone would settle on a yes and agree to help her. The last thing she wanted was for the vampires, the hybrid, the werewolf and the witch sitting down around her to decline her offer to take part in her project. She didn't want someone else, another defenseless human, to get killed. She'd never forgive herself for it.

"What do we get out of this?" Rebekah asked, "Some type of reward?"

"More like the town's ever-lasting gratitude and respect from my fellow colleagues and myself," Forbes said, awaiting their decision.