Reader X Whitebeard "We Speak In Flowers"

Start from the beginning

"One day, in this town I came across something else.." the three younger people felt anxious in place seeing their father figure lay back and stare up at the ceiling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The young gangster walked around the sidewalks, looking for anything that could catch his eye, he once paused seeing a daycare, feeling soft catching glimpses of the pure bundles of joy exploring the world inside.

Wandering on, he paused feeling a spark, just a moment of something special.

Suddenly feeling more desperate than before, Newgate began to move faster, nearly rushing past people and knocking them over as he went.

Before he even knew it, he stopped in front of a flower shop, many exotic flora were on display in beautiful arrangements, but his eyes were stuck on the lady staring him down in the front.

You were watering the flowers with a hose, and was wearing a floppy, wide sun hat that protected the entirety of your (S/C) face from the sun's rays, grimy gardening gloves were still on your hands, and you wore dirty overalls and rubber boots.

He marveled seeing your glistening (E/C) eyes study him- until you suddenly sprayed him with the hose.

"Eeeeek!" Rushing into your shop you slammed the door and shut the blinders, leaving the hose jerking around on the ground.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"She rejected you?!" Marco slammed his foot onto Ace's, causing the flame man to howl out in pain, "ow! What the hell?!" Before they could begin to argue, they were suddenly interrupted by their laughing father.

"Well she did at first, but that's not the whole story" the two went silent, "oh, it's not?" He shook his head to his daughter, "no, it's not" he continued with the story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Newgate confronted the shop again, this time gently knocking on the front door, waiting patiently for the door to open, and when it did he wasn't surprised to see blushing cheeks and anxious (E/C) eyes.

"Y-You again? L-Look I'm sorry but I'm not interested in getting a soulmate, I have plenty on my plate already" Newgate smiled at the boldface lie, "your expression doesn't exactly match your words miss?" You blushed angrily at his words, "n-no it doesn't! And I'm (Y/N)!" He felt a smile pull itself onto his face on it's own.

"(Y/N), what a lovely name" you turned as red as a tomato at his sweet talk, you were ready to slam the door in on his face when he suddenly handed out a small bouquet, "ah! Before you go please take this bouquet, I picked it out just for you" huffing at the action, you scowled but still took the bundle of huddled flora.

Slamming him out and walking away from the door, you brushed a hand through your (H/C) hair, about to throw the bouquet aside only for the variation of flowers catch your eyes.

Soon you turned into a red mess and collapsed onto the table, you really didn't expect to see red carnations and gloxinias.

Damn he was good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Flowers?" Ace muttered, "flowers" Whitebeard confirmed, the flame user's soulmate chuckled seeing the befuddled expression on his face, "let me get this straight, you courted her, with flowers- like she didn't even try to like- you know? Run away?" The old man just nodded his head.

"Heh, back in my day, soulmates took less effort than what you youngsters have to go through today, quite extreme now if you ask me" the three were shocked into silence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again Newgate knocked on the door, finding your face to pop out of the house faster than last time, catching glimpse of a certain bouquet resting on your windowsill much to your annoyance.

"I see you liked them" you shook her head in denial, already burning red, "I just felt like they were too good to throw away" Newgate smiled gently, "then I hope you feel the same with this" you felt helpless as he revealed a white camellia.

Feeling a vein pop on your head feeling it as an insult, you snatched the flower from his hands and blew a raspberry at him, "oh you think you're so smart do you now?!" Marching back into your shop you scanned through your variations before finding one suitable bouquet.

"Take this!" Tossing a bouquet of striped carnations right into his face, you slammed the door violently with a blush.

At first Newgate was slightly dissuaded as he backed away from the shop, but suddenly a different color caught his eye, and when he dug through the bouquet, he grinned stupidly.

Finding a single jonquil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knocking once again, you opened the door quite quickly this time, trying to keep yourself from smiling, "and here I thought my flowers would get the message through your skull" Newgate brushed away a stray hair and grinned, "oh I did get the message alright, and here's one from me, to you" he pulled out a small pot, with a small orchid growing out of it.

You gasped and smiled, finally moving away from behind the door and cupping your hands over his own to admire the plant, "orchids, one of the only flowers I don't have here" you loved his smile, studying him and the flower until something hit you, "means beauty, love, refinement, beautiful woman..." you looked up at him sadly, "and many children" you frowned.

Seeing your change in mood he cupped your cheek in worry, "whatever's wrong?" You looked away in embarrassment and shame, "I-I don't" you stared him in the eye, "I'm sorry, I physically can't have children" he blinked in surprise, allowing a soft smile.

"That's alright" bringing you slightly closer, he had you cradle the orchid close and pull something out from his pocket, "I've already expressed plenty for you to know I want more than just that" you didn't have enough time to be embarrassed when he dipped down to steal your first kiss.

It was mistletoe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And that's how I met your mom" the three blinked in confusion, "what? Yoi" the water user beside him nodded frantically, "yeah what? Wait what happened to her? Where is she now? Are you two married?" Whitebeard suddenly stood up and began to walk away.

"Ah, I think I can smell Thatchy boy's cooking, let's go eat" Ace began to scream for him to stop, but Marco already gave up on interrogating him, "wait I need answers!" The two fire users dashed after the girl in an attempt to catch up with their father.