Original Edition: Chapter Ten

Start from the beginning

"A dancer is nothing without internal segregation," Mr Carson said, "Dance must constantly be separate from your life and vice versa. If you cannot handle that, you won't make it a day in NYC. Rule number one." He checked his watch, "Do this again tomorrow and I'll hand the lead over to Aspen. Maybe she can handle the pressure."

With that, Mr Carson swept up his belongings and marched through the door. There was a tinge in Naomi's eyes when it slammed shut in front of her but she was not able to vocalize any sort of regret. "Naom-" Aspen started.

"Don't." Naomi ignored the pain returning to her toes and barged out the studio with a slight limp.

In the dressing room, as one garment was peeled off and replaced by another, Naomi felt the growing desire to simply stay there. If she spent the night at The Fox Performing Arts Centre, she could work on her routine and have the liberty of avoiding her father. It was a win-win. She really contemplated it until there was a knock on the other side of the door.

"Naomi?" It was Aspen.

She muttered a response.

"I need my bags. Open the door."

"Give me a second." Naomi made sure her eyes were dry before standing up.

"Naomi?"

"Wait!" She checked once more before unlocking the door. Aspen stalked in, muttering a thank you. She never carried sweat or shame with her. Her head was always tall and her makeup looked untouched. She grabbed her bags and opened one to retrieve her pink water bottle before slinging it on her shoulder. Then, she made her way out, releasing the bun that her hair was in as she passed Naomi on the floor. Her forehead was buried in her knees and though Aspen made sure to not look at her, Naomi's sobbing was obvious. She rolled her eyes and pulled the door shut, but suddenly stopped at a degree. Aspen exhaled painfully. She pushed the door open all the way now. "Let's go."

Naomi looked up. Aspen was looking at her pointedly. "What?"

Aspen's chest rose and fell. She held on to the doorknob. "Get up," she repeated like it was obvious. "I can't leave you here alone." Naomi waited to see if she was serious. "Please don't make me ask twice."

Naomi let her legs fall flat to the floor as she wiped her eyes. She couldn't think of anything else to say except, "Why?"

The blonde girl tongued her teeth and finally let go of the door. Her eyes cascaded the room and she shrugged. "I owe you one okay? You could have told everyone what you saw that day with my dad, but you didn't. Can we go now?"

Wordlessly, Naomi nodded.

Aspen left the room, leaving the door wide open as Naomi quickly changed her shoes and took up her bag. She locked the door behind her.

When she made it outside, Aspen's silver Prius was humming on the curb. Naomi went up to it, trying not to wonder why her parents never got her a car and threw her bags in the backseat before getting in the front. Naomi looked out her window and slumped down the leather of the chair as the car reversed onto the road. "I don't want to talk about it," she said.

Aspen put her car in drive. "Thank God."

The girls sped off.

Half an hour passed where words went unsaid and thoughts unspoken until Naomi's house came into the clearing. "This one?" Aspen pointed.

"No," Naomi pointed again at her house, "that one right there." By the time the car pulled up to it, Naomi was already clutching the door handle. She stepped out hastily and began working the back door open just in time to see her mother coming down the front porch, hair done up and makeup made. "You're home early," Naomi noted, taking her bag out of the back.

"So are you." Naomi didn't have the strength to respond. Her mother walked over to the passenger seat and bent to the window. "Thank you so much for carrying her home," she said smiling.

Aspen smiled like she did when she danced. "Good evening, Mrs Morgan. It wasn't a problem."

"That's lovely," Naomi mocked as she came behind her mother. "Let's go inside." Neither of them seemed to hear her.

"You should come in for dinner," Mrs Morgan offered. A silence hovered.

Above them, the clouds spewed a slight drizzle. Before either girl could answer Mrs Morgan said, "I insist, really. My husband and I would really love to hear from someone else that goes to the Academy." The drizzle quickly began to gain weight. They all looked up at the sky. "Can't leave you out here to the wrath of the elements either." She smiled broadly, "Come in, dear."

Naomi knew her father's confrontation would have to wait.

Author's Note
If I were Naomi I'd tell my mom immediately just so I can see her grab her hot sauce baseball bat and start making a MESS. (if you got that reference you can be my best friend)

This week's dedication HAS to go to @Ada-Mwrites ❤️😭❤️❤️😭 guys, I love her to death. Tysm for all your support, I honestly would wilt and die w/o you. If you vote, comment and share the next dedication could be you!

Readers, how are you feeling about this book so far?

IN THE NEXT CHAPTER...

Just beneath the surface of her chest, something dangerous swam. Mr Morgan raised an eyebrow confusedly. Her expression had twisted and before she knew it, her mouth was open and her thoughts were sailing out. "Is that what you do all day?" The venom in her voice was hard to miss. "Scrape teeth and fill cavities?"