Chapter Eight: Your Fault

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I was helping Anne." I said shortly, hoping to evade any questions.

"You bake?" he inquired.

"Yes, what of it?"

"You don't seem like the type of woman who would, is all. Did your mother teach you?"

"It matters not who taught me." I said, pushing past him.

"I suppose it does not." he grabbed me by the arm, whirling me around, "Anyways, you know that there is to be a ball in two days then?" he asked, a smile slowly curling his lips.

"Yes..." I replied hesitantly, skeptical of his smile.

"Good. And you are aware that you are to be in attendance?"

"Dieu... Are you serious? I, a lowly French prisoner turned mistress, at a ball with your sophisticated rich and royal companions?" I scoffed.

"To call them companions is a stretch, and to be truthful I can't stand their company, which is precisely why you shall attend. I've got a feeling you would make it more... Interesting." he smirked.

"Joy. And it did not occur to you that I might use this ball in order to escape?" I asked, trying to free myself from his grasp.

"My dear, I think we've already established that I am stronger than you, so you can stop trying to free yourself." he began, his grip tightening, as he brushed some flour from my cheek, "And if you must know, there will be guards posted at each exit of the ballroom, and furthermore posted at each exit."

"Of course." I rolled my eyes.

"I've noticed that you haven't taken it upon yourself to escape today." he observed, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"No, I didn't." I said flatly.

"I think the palace, or more specifically, I am growing on you."

"You couldn't be further from the truth, your highness. Might I go now?" I asked.

"If you must. Goodnight my Rose." he said, releasing me.

After a short walk, I came upon the room. Inside, I changed into a nightdress, before sinking into the soft embrace of the bed. I still hadn't grown accustomed to the luxury of sleeping in one, after having been deprived of one for months, and I welcomed the mattress' comfortable surface. As I drifted off to sleep, I once again found myself thinking of the King. And try as I might, I couldn't shake the thoughts from my mind as I drifted off into a restless sleep.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused as I stood at the doors of the family bakery.

"You are to come with me to your new home with your previous caretaker's sister, Miss Elise Dubois." the man said, standing in between the doors and me.

"Previous? What are you talking about? Marie is alright, I saw her just this morning!" I said, a sense of dread sinking into me.

"Dear, you mean to tell me you don't know?" he asked.

"Know what!? What has happened!?" I demanded, tears spilling from my eyes.

"Is this her?" a peeved voice asked from behind me.

I turned to see a woman who vaguely resembled Marie, standing behind me, her arms folded, and a disapproving glare on her face.

"It is." the man nodded.

"How cruel a fate, that I must take on the child responsible for what happened to my sister." she scoffed.

"Responsible? I've still not heard what happened!" I turned to the man, who had a disgusted look on his face.