Chapter 29: The Tunnel System

Start from the beginning

Only when their screams ceased and the fire died out, leaving them as only hunched over, charred figures did we continue forward.

We walked close together, our weapons drawn and watching each side of the group. Several of the warriors simply stepped over the bodies, others completely circled around it, breaking our tightly packed group up for a few seconds at a time before regrouping. The cavern entrance was clear, save for the two torches that blew about in the bitter wind. Orgnar and Volstagg snatched the torches off of their sconces, lighting the way in front of us. One by one we stepped into the entrance, our weapons raised and waiting for an ambush.

Nothing came, however, as we carefully walked further, the cave becoming colder and more unforgiving in its demeanor. The cave walls became narrower and its ceiling hung just low enough to force the tallest of us to duck slightly. We spaced out, each of us two strides behind the other with Orgnar taking the lead and the two foot soldiers crammed in the back of the lineup. Several times we had to stop, thinking we heard voices and low whispers in the dark. When we stopped this time, something was different.

"Slow," Orgnar whispered, his voice echoing softly off of the hanging icicles that gleamed in the torchlight. We silenced in unison, the only sounds in the cavern were the drops of the melting ices on the ceiling. I paused, waiting to hear from Orgnar again as to why he had halted us. Instead, I was met with the sound of gently placed footsteps before the sound stopped immediately. Orgnar turned back to us, anger in his golden amber eyes.

"We are being followed. Tread lightly," Orgnar growled quietly. Once again, a certain unease slid through my body. Indeed, we were being followed but by whom? And where? While my questions were still unanswered, we continued our hike. The walls soon began to widen until we came across an open cavern, several tall hallways peeking out from its wide corridors. It faintly reminded me of the prison we were kept in while we were being held captive. With no lights save for the two Volstagg and Orgnar held, it was dark, gloomy, and most of all, cold.

After we had all gathered in the large open cavern, the shuffling continued, quickening its pace until there was more than one set of footsteps, until the vibrations could be felt under our feet and through the thick icy floor. Orgnar didn't have to tell us what to do as we had already prepared ourselves for an inevitable battle.

Within seconds, light and dark skinned Frost Giants alike poured out of the several tunnel entrances, their crude rocky clubs and swords swinging every which way and wailing in their own language. A bright red light emitted from Heskell's fingers and the first line of attackers fell to their knees and collapsed. Thor, Sif, and Volstagg formed a line to the left of us, hacking down the Jotuns rushing forward. Orgnar, Heskell, and the two foot soldiers took up the left flank, creating a barrier between the enemies and the next line of defense. That left Prince Loki, Asmund, and I to the center where the Jotuns began to rush to.

"This will be fun," Asmund smiled, rushing forward to sever a stray Jotun's head. Loki and I stepped forward, already mowing through the attacking Frost Giants with ease.

"No, no it will not be!" I argued. The Jotun bodies were already beginning to pile up at our feet, making it hard to stay balanced when you could easily step forward and trip over a finger or arm. Taking a dangerous gamble, I glanced to the right flank. Orgnar and his group were faring well, the bodies of their attackers piled up at their feet much like ours.

The zip of an arrow flying past my face and grazing my ear brought me back into focus. Ahead of us, the hallway tunnels were once again filled with a new wave of Jotuns, this time armed with bows and deadly sharp arrows. I groaned, I had no long distance weapons, only a select few of our group did including the magic users and Prince Thor. Otherwise, the rest of us, unless up close, were useless.