Chapter 10: Falling Boats

I sat down beside Amity who twirled her garlic noodles on her fork. Looking up, she tossed me wheat muffin. I caught it and took a hearty bite but neither of us spoke.

The remaining thirteen warriors seeped in from their quarters. Their faces looking dazed and numb.

Odin had taken his place on the massive golden throne at the end of the table on a platform. Beside him as always was Queen Frigga in an elegant dark blue dress as if to symbolize her own sorrow. Her face set in a solemn stony manner much like that Prince Loki does. King Odin stood now, his staff clutched deathly tight in his hand.

"Laufey of Jotunheim, has not given Asgard an answer. In response we will march upon Jotunheim with an army of seven elite soldiers and ten warriors. It may not seem like much but you all have been trained for war and battle, so war and battle you shall receive. Orgnar will pick five of you to come along with him. The rest of you shall stay to rebuild and defend Asgard from any possible attacks. Our home has been set in ruins and for what? Show them no mercy. In bed in their hearts the fear of Asgard's wrath once again!" Odin finished, he met each of our eyes in a grim stare. Odin nodded to Orgnar signaling he was done. Orgnar stood now, his expression troubled as he crossed his arms in front of himself.

"Are there any willing to go to Jotunheim? Be aware that there is no guarantee you will make it back alive. This could mean possible war upon realms. You may not see your families for months," he explained.

"I volunteer to march upon Jotunheim," I said evenly. He looked over at me, desperation and pity in his gaze, yet he said nothing. I knew he had expected me to go and I knew he truly could not do anything about it. It was a sacrifice that no one else jumped to. I let out a deep sigh of relief. It had been easier than I thought to get in.

"I will," Asmund said beside me. I snapped my eyes to him but he met them with a smile. Several people followed suit, their voices raising to call order. They had begun to join in the little quest that could change the fate of Asgard forever. After Orgnar had his five, Asmund, Sif, Volstagg, Heskell, and I circled around each other.

"King Odin said eight so why have you only called five?" Heskell said, his voice silky and even.

"As risky as it is, the Princes of Asgard must join the mission as well. If anything they have been trained better than most. However I will take a lucky guess and say that if there are any bad or highly dangerous situations that will not be the front line." Orgnar explained grimly.

"When do we leave?" Sif asked. We nodded in agreement.

"We leave this night yet when the sun sets. We will be taking the Bifrost but half way through we will rip a hole in the fabric of it. That should allow us to fall out of the direct line of Jotunheim and to a more remote part of it. Not to mention the lack of light will hopefully help us cover up our entry," Orgnar answered. "So I suggest you all start packing soon. Keep your bags light. You may have to carry it on your back. The food and water as well as simple bedding will be on packs on your horses already so do not worry to pack that." He said. We all nodded.

"How long do we have to bid farewell to our families?" Asmund asked quietly.

I bit my lip as Orgnar exhaled gently.

"Make it quick and do not tell them where you are going or what you are doing. If you must lie to them, do so." He said.

~

I stood at the edge of one of many of Asgard's banks, the small wooden boat rocked softly as the water lapped around it. The water pooled around my dusty leather shoes as I held one thick, ceramic jar in my hands. It was a golden color, mahogany cloth strings bound around it tightly. Hanging on the thin threads of cloth were assorted gems, feathers, and herbs. Inside it was what little the scavengers could find of my father. The jar had been decorated with traditional like bindings. I set it gently on the boat.