Ch 13 - A Terrible Ultimatum

Start from the beginning

"Hi," she sparkled. There was something going on.

"Hi," I hugged her to me. "Hello Higher Warrior Marcus," I addressed him formally. He hadn't spoken to me since his wolf submitted. I felt his wolf come forward and nuzzle my side, "Hi Felix." He grumbled happily when I placed my hand on his head.

He had been yearning to be with us since he submitted, but Marcus had held him back.

"Why does he do that?" Marcus said harshly. "Why is he submitting to a woman?"

"Because I'm his Luna, his Alpha Female," I didn't get riled up, he was confused and needed guidance not irritation.

"He doesn't submit to Luna Anderson," he said, running his hand through his hair. The action made Fiona look at him with dewy eyes and I giggled, she really had it bad.

"That's because she doesn't have a real wolf."

Sadly this amazing revolution had passed her by. She and Alpha seemed oblivious to the change in their pack. They didn't notice the increase of kind words instead of the cattiness, and blind to the help being given out instead of the 'each-one-for-themselves' attitude from before.

The atmosphere had lightened, mealtimes were happier, nobody went hungry any more. I went back to cooking separate portions for the men and women and introducing regular desserts for the men and they stopped demanding the women's food.

I even had help in the kitchen now after I managed to persuade Alpha to let me run some cooking classes. He was convinced after a particularly nasty reaction I had to some Trumpet Vine I had encountered in the forest. My hands were completely out of action and everyone had been forced to eat the old style of cooking.

Alpha also seemed oblivious to Marcus' increased strength on the field. Ignoring the fact that his fights were even more easily won and he never had to come into the medical tent any more. I don't know how he missed it, Marcus had gone from a strong warrior wolf to something outstanding.

But, I sensed that Marcus was holding back, like he was afraid of his new power. Maybe he'd feel more comfortable with Felix after tonight. It was good that he had come here to find out more, however reluctant he was for change.

"Fiona has explained it too, but it seems crazy. I believe that there is an Ori? ... Original?..." he questioned.

"Either works, I call her Ori but she is the Original. It depends what feels right for you"

He gave a sharp nod, "...otherwise I wouldn't have got Felix, but how did nobody know about her? How did she get forgotten? Why is my wolf happy to submit to a woman when all I've known is that they are beneath me? Why are the omegas not serving the others," he swung his arm round the room and I noticed that Nurse Hannah was actually bringing them drinks.

"Why are a lot of my warriors' mates here? They should be in the barracks, this is the higher house." He frowned, his expression more bewildered than anything. He looked out of his depth.

"I don't know how Ori got forgotten," I confessed. "I know of her because I grew up with my parents telling me about her. I don't actually know how they knew, but it was natural in our house."

I wish I did know what revealed her existence to them, but it was a mystery. "As for all your other questions, she is the answer. Ori doesn't support the theory that one wolf is worth less than another. She made us all, to her we are equal."

"But what about the ranks?"

"I think of them as positions rather than ranks. Every type of wolf has something to benefit the others. Did you know that it's because of an omega that your men are healing quicker?" His mouth dropped.