Chapter 22

I open my eyes slowly and take in my surroundings with a silent wince.

The room is bright, and I inhale the aroma that reminds me of a hospital. The recollection has me guessing how I know what a hospital smells like since I was never sick so Riyma... Myria never took me to one.

I look down and see my lower half covered with a blanket, my body is dressed in the gown nurses give to patients.

My whole-body aches, my brain is throbbing slightly as sudden memories infiltrate my brain.

Memories of when I was born, to the day I was taken and changed. Everything after that is blank and empty while the memories I have once I woke up stayed there, replaying over again as I tried sitting up.

My body feels uncomfortably warm and there is a constant thumping sound invading my ears.

My heart is beating?

I grit my teeth in pain, my face twisting in agony.

My arms ache as I stretch them and try pushing myself up. I turn to the side, taking in more of my surroundings. I am the only one in the room, and the only bed in the room.

I turn to my left side and my eyes widen as I take in the image of Zeke.

He is sitting in a chair with his head resting on his hand, his eyes closed and unaware of my awakening. He looks paler than before and he has small bags under his eyes. The sight of him so sickly has me on the verge of crying.

I open my mouth but nothing comes out and my throat feels horribly dry. My eyes dart to the table right next to me and catch sight of a glass of water prepared for me already.

Despite the pain in my arm that travels throughout the rest of my body, I grab the glass and hold it up to my lips shakily. I tip it onto my lips and chug it quickly, finishing it in a second before setting it back down.

Clearing my throat, I open my mouth again but I take in his appearance once more.

With a silent sigh, I decide against waking him up and settle into the bed in a sitting position. I look over at him, my brain urging me to wake him, but he looks so peaceful.

His eyebrows suddenly knit together, making him look troubled. He shifts in his seat uneasily and his eyes slowly flutter open. He moves his head from his hand and sits up, his eyes slowly moving over my body until he meets my open eyes. He doesn't say anything until his eyes glance at my smile and his face morphs into realization.

"Y-you're awake!" he exclaims jumping up and walking over to me cautiously.

I nod in response, not trusting my voice.

"I'm not dreaming?" he asks with a raised eyebrow as he stands next to me, looking over my face.

"No, you're not. I've missed you. I can't wait to tell you what I saw," I tell him happily, my voice hoarse.

He doesn't say anything as his eyes take in my appearance over and over again.

"How long have you been awake for?"

I shrug slightly, wincing as the movement makes my bruised body ache. "Probably two minutes, not long."

He stares at me and suddenly smashes his lips on mine hungrily. I respond to his urgent kiss, my eyes closing and savoring the feel of his soft lips. He slows down and kisses me softly. I can feel the longing in the way his mouth moves against mine in a passionate dance between us.

A sudden burning in my chest and the need for air has me pulling away quickly and sucking in oxygen.

"I've missed you, too," Zeke says, placing a soft kiss on my nose.