[25] Vulnerability of the Heart.

Start from the beginning

"I live here." He simply states.

Dunia does pick up that his tone sounds a little slurred.

"I don't want to talk to you. I'm going to sleep. Goodnight." Dunia hopes this will get rid of him. But, boy, is she wrong.

While Dunia is walking towards the bed, Barqat grabs her wrist and pulls her into his arms. Her back pushes against his chest as he snakes his arm around her waist and locking his hands in front of her stomach.

His touch is so electrifying that Dunia almost jumps from this. Her heart beat is quickening in pace and the fluttering has begun again. Every time this feeling comes around, Dunia feels so weak. She feels herself melting in his arms. She hates that her body betrays her like this.

"L-let me g-g-go." Dunia's words are stammering.

Barqat rests his head on her shoulder and Dunia can smell something bitter. Alcohol? Does he drink? That would explain his slurred speech. But that's haram (forbidden)... But then again everything he does is haram.

"I like how feisty you got in the room today." He mumbles.

"Have you been drinking?" She asks, ignoring his statement.

"I might be." He somewhat agrees.

Dunia was hoping he'd say no, "Listen to me: first, drinking isn't good for you. Second, you're not in your right mind. You need to let me go."

The moment she said that, his grip around her gets firmer as if he's worried she'll slip away, "I won't let you go. I'll never let you go."

Dunia feels chills run down her spine, what is he talking about? "What—you're not in your right mind."

"Promise me you won't leave me like her. Like them." His voice almost a whisper. His face is nuzzling in the crane of her neck, seeking comfort.

Dunia freezes. Like who? What is he talking about? Is it too personal to ask him while he's drunk? "L-like who?"

Barqat doesn't answer. Even his intoxicated mind knows when not to spill too much information.

Dunia realizes she won't get an answer, "Barqat," she says in her most soothing tone "let me go and we can talk if you'd like."

Being in his arms weakens her to her core. She feels like every part of her body has melted into his grasp. She wants to stay in his hold like this for longer but she knows it's extremely wrong because he isn't in his right mind, this would be too selfish. Her mind and her heart are at opposite ends of the battle and it's driving her insane.

Barqat turns her around to face him, his hands grabbing at her waist. When Dunia's eyes land on his, she quietly gasps, he's been crying. His icy, blue translucent eyes have a glassy effect in them. The water surrounding his eyes make them look so fragile as if one blink would shatter the sparkling glassy outer layer of his irises.

Something about tonight triggered his darkest, most miserable memories, Dunia thinks. She can see it in the way his eyes are radiating anguish and sorrow. That look of pain is not at all hard to miss.

His eyes are searching hers for some kind of warmth and affection. He's yearning for something—anything to grasp onto so not to slip into the abyss of darkness that he's desperately, to some extent, pulled himself out of a long time ago.

He pulls her in closer to his chest. Dunia tries her best to shuffle out of his grip with no avail. He dips his down but she quickly turns away, not out of shyness but out of fear that she might succumb to wherever this is going. Barqat tilts her chin so she would face him, their noses are just barely touching.

"Kiss me." He almost sounds demanding. However, something in his tone sounds weak.

"No, you're drunk. You don't want any of this." Dunia pleads to make him understand, to reason with him. Her self-control is holding together with thin threads, ready to snap any second. 

"Dunia Sheikh, kiss me, damn it!" It almost sounds like a growl.

"No." Dunia places her hand over his mouth gently. "Sober Barqat wouldn't want this one bit. You're just upset, you're really not thinking straight."

He doesn't say anything, he doesn't even protest. He pulls her into a hug, his arms tighten around her waist, not wanting to let go. His chin is resting on top of her head as his heart starts beating almost too fast. "Just hold me for a minute." He says in a such a low tone that it would be inaudible if Dunia wasn't listening carefully. He sounds so weak and helpless that it makes Dunia's heart wrench.

Without thinking, Dunia wraps her arms around his waist, resting her head on his chest. "I don't know what happened to you tonight, but I want you to know it'll be okay. Allah will help you find inner peace, Ameen." Dunia whispers.

Barqat doesn't say anything, taking in these bittersweet moments for a few extra seconds.

Dunia pulls away first, "I think you need to sleep it off."

Barqat nods. But before he leaves, he manages to say a small thank you. Dunia smiles at him and he leaves.

She sits on the edge of the bed, will he remember all this tomorrow? Will he go back to being an a-hole again? Was this moment just out of mere weakness from both of our parts?

- - -

A/N: who's her? Who's them? What do you guys think Barqat will do after he sobers up? 🤔

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!