30 • Abomination

SAM'S POV

I gave Jacob 10 minutes to phase back, more than enough time for him to say goodbye to Billy. He should have phased back by now if he was intending to go back to being a wolf permanently like he threatened. When he didn't, the suspicion that he would go after the Cullens in human form caused the nagging in the back of my neck to intensify all over again. Seth, standing next to me, let out a whine.

"Alright, I'm heading to the Black house. I'll be right back." I told the pack. As soon as I got close to the forest edge, I phased back and crossed the road to Jake's home. Billy opened the door soon after I knocked on it.

I took one look at his face and felt my hands begin to tremble as I said, "He went to the Cullens, didn't he?"

Billy looked down at the floor and with a worried expression nodded slowly. I started swearing violently. I stopped when I glanced at Billy.

"This is great. If the Cullens kill Jacob, what do you want us to do? Retaliate?" I asked bluntly and regretted it as Billy's face went pale.

"Do you think they'll kill him?"

"I think there is an extremely good chance that if he attacks, they'll defend themselves." I replied softly. It pained me when Billy's eyes welled up with tears.

"I think I better go talk to Sue and Quil," Billy mumbled even as a tear went down his face. I reached over and squeezed his shoulder.

"I'll make sure to let you know if we hear any updates," I assured him though I knew it was little comfort.

I ran back into the woods and phased again. "Jacob went to the Cullens. Prepare yourself for retaliation. I want everyone spread into pairs along the border. Collin you go with Embry, Brady you go with Quil. Paul, get Jared and tell him to get his ass out here, and then station your self close to the reservation."

"What about Jacob?" Embry asked.

The uncontrollable fury that I felt but didn't quite understand, rushed over me again. "He chose his fate. His actions may have resulted in a war between us and the Cullens. We need to concentrate on protecting the tribe right now and not worry about Jacob."

I knew that the pack was concerned, but they still spread out and stationed themselves along the treaty line. I soon felt Jared join us as Paul stayed close to the rez as instructed. He had recently imprinted on Jacob's sister Rachel, much to Jacob's disgust. If we heard any news on Jacob, Paul would track down Billy and Rachel and give them an update. I didn't know how long we were patrolling before I felt Jacob phase.

"Jacob, Jake." The pack members called out in relief.

"Come home now!" I ordered, rage racing through me.

I felt Paul phase out as he went to give Billy an update. As Jacob started heading back in our direction, memories flashed through his head, and we saw what Jacob had just witnessed. No one spoke as we froze in shock. Bella Swan was pregnant with the vampire's spawn. We saw that the monster inside her womb was killing her.

The pack left the boundary of La Push and headed to a clearing to meet Jacob halfway. With the exception of Jacob and Paul, the rest of the pack made it to the clearing at the same time. I began pacing as I waited for the other two to join us.