26 • War

SAM'S POV

I looked down at the note I had just written Emily.

Remember, don't worry. Everything's going to be fine.

I love you.

Sam

After giving it a second read through, I crept back into our bedroom where Emily was still sleeping and put my message on the pillow next to her. I really hoped it would give her some extra comfort today while the pack was out fighting the bloodsuckers. I leaned over and kissed Emily lightly on the forehead, careful not to disturb her, before quietly leaving the room. I was glad that she was going to be spending the day with Jared's imprint, Kim, and Sue Clearwater. They were all going to wait together at the Clearwaters' house for news on the Newborn War.

As I made my way into the backyard, I passed the pile of rain soaked blankets that Emily and I had used the previous night as a makeshift bed. I felt myself smiling briefly as I thought about what had taken place on those blankets. After we had made love in the rain, I had brought Emily inside, slightly worried that our overenthusiastic lovemaking might have hurt her. But she had been quick to reassure me that she was fine with how physical things had gotten between us.

Being a wolf sometimes had its limitations; our overly proportioned bodies were just one thing we had to worry about. Our strength was another. When a wolf had sex with a woman, we had to be careful to not hurt them. It was something that I'd worried about with Emily in the past. But I guessed making love to your imprint was a completely different experience. Emily and I were designed for each other. We fit together like two pieces of a puzzle. Last night proved that. It was a relief to know that Emily could handle our intimacy no matter how out of control it got.

As I headed towards the woods, I tried to force my memories of the night before out of my head. I didn't want to share what took place between me and my imprint with the rest of the pack. I attempted to phase, but it was really difficult to achieve the anger I needed when all I felt was happiness. I closed my eyes as I thought about the pack. I internally cringed at the idea of any of them seeing Emily lustfully through my mind. No fucking way were they going to see her like that. Especially Leah.

The constant guilt I always felt over how much I'd hurt Leah, mixed with my jealousy over any of the other guys inadvertently seeing Em naked because of me, quickly destroyed my euphoria. The familiar heat began to spread from the base of my spine and I phased shortly after. As I headed deeper into the forest, I felt the others join me.

Seth, are you on your way? I asked.

Yeah, almost there, Seth replied. He was going to take over guarding Bella from Jacob. I knew that Jake had spent the night with Bella up in the mountains.

You be careful, little brother, Leah said. Her mind instantly flashed to an image of Edward Cullen. Jacob had learned from Bella that her leech boyfriend was planning on staying with her and Seth during the fight. Leah wasn't happy that Seth was going to be so close to a blood drinker, even if it was a Cullen. But Jacob trusted Edward...even if he did hate the very sight of him.

If Edward attacks me, Seth grumbled, listening to our thoughts, at least it would give me something to do. Nothing else is gonna freaking happen. I'm just stuck babysitting. I should be with you guys.

I ignored him. I'd already had this conversation with him when I first told him of his assignment.

Collin, Brady, remember to keep out of sight while you're patrolling the rez, I told the youngest members of the pack. They were staying behind as I couldn't in good consciousness let two kids fight in the battle. If you get close to the Black property, be especially careful. Charlie Swan is going to be in the area. We don't need him to see you.