~ Part Eleven ~

I waved her off.

“Not your fault.”

Kristen poked her head into the fridge again.

“Where did you put the wine, Nadia?”

“There wasn’t a bottle with the groceries?”

Kristen shook her head and Nadia shrugged.

“It probably didn’t get bagged.”

“There should be a few bottles chilling in the garage fridge,” I offered in a tone heavy with emotion.

My thoughts were still on the gallery space downtown. Its lease was hard confirmation that dream would never transpire. Kristen gave me a wary look and went into the garage, the door slamming behind her.

She returned a moment later with a bottle of chardonnay.

“When did you clean your garage?”

“Does it look like I’ve cleaned?” I waved an arm to encompass the open living space.

Unanswered mail piled high on the countertop. Unread newspapers stacked on the floor. Dust bunnies mingled and multiplied in the corners.

“Whatever.”

She popped the wine cork and poured three glasses.

“The garage looks good.”

We drank the wine and talked about Nadia’s new design project. Soon her appointment alarm buzzed on her phone. She glanced at the screen.

“I have to go. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

She kissed my cheek and grabbed her hobo bag. The handle snagged on the chair back and everything dumped. Lipstick, pens, mints, and papers skidded across the tile floor. She swore and I bent to help her.

“I’ve got it.”

She waved my hands aside and scooped up her belongings.

“Gotta run.” She rushed to the door.

I waved good-bye and launched a playlist on the stereo, wondering how long Kristen would stay. She poured another round of wine. Good. She planned to stay for a while. We danced and talked, and watched a chick flick on pay-per-view.

The doorbell rang around ten p.m. Nick had come to pick up his wife.

“I’ll call you tomorrow.”

Kristen pushed off the couch. I walked with her to the door. She bear-hugged me.

“Night, night, sweetie.”

Nick wrapped his arm around her, tucked her into his side. They were a perfect fit. I watched him brush aside wisps of his wife’s blonde hair with his fingertips. He kissed her on the forehead, eyes briefly closing. Their caress was intimate. My heart twisted.

I had lost my opportunity to have that with James.

“Will you be OK tonight?” Nick asked me.

Did I have a choice?

“I’ll be fine.”

“Call if you need anything.”

“Thanks.”

I shut and locked the door after they said good-bye, listening to Nick drive away. I slid to the floor, my back to the door, and my eyes drifted close. I felt myself floating from the wine. Sounds and smells penetrated my foggy mind.

Ticking from the mantel clock. Humming from the air conditioner. Scents of lemongrass and coconut from burning candles. My eyes flew open. I needed to blow out the candles.