~ Part Three ~

He slipped his hands in his pockets.

"Yes, you can. You should've been married today so it would've been yours."

I studied the check again. It was so much money.

"Your parents are retiring soon, right? You can buy their restaurant, or start your own. James had mentioned that's what you wanted to do."

"I haven't decided."

"Then travel, see the world. You're what, twenty-six? You've got your whole life ahead of you. Do what makes you happy."

He smiled tightly and glanced beyond my shoulders, his gaze fixed across the courtyard.

"I have to go. Take care, OK?" He kissed my cheek.

I felt the soft brush of his lips, but his words barely registered.

The din in the courtyard had risen, and my thoughts were far from there. Do what makes you happy. I had no idea what that was. Not anymore. I looked up to say good-bye to Thomas, but he was already gone.

I turned around and found him across the courtyard with his mother and cousin. As if he felt my gaze, Phil cocked his head and met my stare. His brow lifted with deliberate purpose.

I swallowed. He leaned over and whispered in Claire's ear, then started walking toward me. Air sparked like oil in a scalding pan. I heard James' voice. An echo from long ago. Let's get out of here. I tucked the check into my clutch and turned to go, slipping away toward the parking lot.

I walked away from my past, unsure of my future, and with no idea how I'd be able to leave. I had no car. I stopped at the curb, debating if I should return to the courtyard to find my parents when an older woman with pixie-cut blonde hair approached.

"Ms. Tierney?"

I waved her off. I couldn't bear hearing one more condolence.

"Please, it's important."

I hesitated at the odd tone in her voice.

"Do I know you?"

"I'm a friend."

"A friend of James?"

"Yours. I'm Lacy."

She extended her hand. I stared at the arm hovering midair between us, then raised my gaze to hers.

"I'm sorry. Have we met?"

"I'm here about James." She lowered her arm and peeked over her shoulder.

"I have information about his accident."

A tear beaded in the corner of my eye. I inhaled a deep breath, my lungs were rattling from all the crying I've done these past weeks. James had told me four days only, a quick business trip.

Fly to Mexico, take a client fishing, negotiate contracts over dinner, and come home. The boat captain had said James to cast his line, and after the captain checked the motor, James was gone. Just like that. Gone.

That was two months ago. For weeks James was missing, and eventually he was presumed dead. Then, according to Thomas, James' body washed up on shore. Lacy probably hadn't heard his body has been found. Case closed.

"You're too late. He's - " "Alive. James is alive."

I stared at her, dumbstruck. Who did this woman think she was? I pointed at the hearse.

"Look!"

She did. We watched the driver slam the back hatch and walk around the side of the vehicle to sit in his seat. He closed the door and drove away, heading out of the parking lot toward the cemetery.

I looked at her with a warped sense of satisfaction. But she kept her eyes on the black sedan and spoke in a hushed tone loaded with fascination.

"I wonder what's inside the casket."

"Wait up!" Lacy trailed me as I weaved through the parking lot.

"Please, wait!"

"Go away!"

Tears rimmed my eyes. Saliva thickened my tongue. I had to vomit, and Lacy wouldn't leave me alone. I glanced toward the street. My house was less than a mile away.

Maybe I could walk home. Bile swiftly rosed. Oh God.

"Let me explain," Lacy pleaded.

"Not. Now." I clamped my mouth and ducked behind a large van.

Heat flashed across my body. Dampness soaked my armpits and the undersides of my breasts. My insides pitched and roiled. I hurled forward.

End of the Part 3!

Thank you for reading and leave a like! 👍☆