(Farkas) Her Shield

Requested by: _scarlet_roses_
(The art is from a "Skyrim Confessions" post, though I'm not sure who took the screenshot and posted it. If anyone knows, let me know)
————
Today she stands with him to face the great numbers of Silverhand armies that awaits them behind their reinforced walls. As cowards they sneaked inside Jorrvaskr and had slain the Companions' leader, in the hopes of having everyone scatter once their leader is dead. But the Companions' wills aren't as weak when it comes to avenge fallen shield siblings and they are even more wrathful when it is a leader that they will avenge.
(Y/n) taking the position of leadership temporarily was leading the Companions for a final act of revenge for Kodlak, their leader. With Farkas standing as her shield, as she takes the final preparations for the assault.
"Check your quiver Aela, make sure you have every arrow for their cruel hearts" she said "Vilkas, don't hesitate to kill anyone, your sword fights for Kodlak's spirit tonight" she turned her gaze to Farkas
"And Farkas, be the shield for our hopes and the future of all Companions" she slowly looked at everyone "and even if we need to call Hircine's cruel hunt down tonight then damn well we shall" she declared.
Everyone cheered for her, Farkas felt proud of her because of how much she had changed since the day she had joined.

When (y/n) first knocked on Jorrvaskr's doors, she was afraid and clutched a dagger that she held close to her. Farkas had opened the door to find her shivering in the rain, she didn't expect them to open the door at all and stared at Farkas when he did.
Without a word, Farkas let her inside the building and then after she relaxed by the fire, he spoke
"What is your name and why were you in the rain?" Farkas gently asked
"I'm (y/n)... I don't want to talk about my past..." she muttered, her voice timid as she refused to even look at Farkas
"Alright... do you have a reason to knock on Jorrvaskr's gates?" Farkas understood that she might've gone through a lot and didn't bother her to talk about it
"I want to fight for the Companions... as a family" she said "I will train day and night until I become a great warrior, I promise not to be a burden at all!" She looked at Farkas with grief as she pleaded him to let her join
"Okay okay, I will see to your initiation tomorrow but rest for now, you're going to need it" he heartily smiled at her before he showed her to her quarters and left for the night.
Next morning (y/n) had awoken before everyone and was already swinging her dagger against the straw dummies outside.
Farkas was watching her when she did so, he saw that she couldn't even properly swing the dagger and was rather clumsy even with a short and light weapon.
"You're not really swinging that right" he said, she quickly turned her head towards him "oh... I never went into a real combat" she sighed
"I can teach you, it isn't that complicated" Farkas walked towards her, unintentionally standing a little closer. (Y/n) looked at him like a pup who had met a wolf
"The dagger, I will need it to show you how to fight" Farkas said after an awkward pause
"O-Oh... h-here" (y/n) timidly muttered and placed the dagger on his outstretched palm.
Farkas walked over to the same dummy and attempted a few swings with the dagger
"Since this is a short blade, speed and accuracy is your friend here" he said "it doesn't weigh you down so you won't fall over or anything, just don't lose your balance in the combat" he slightly smiled at her "now you try" Farkas gave her the dagger.
(Y/n) took the blade with shaky hands and tried to fight like Farkas but she was barely successful
"You're moving your shoulders too much, and stop using all your strength at once" Farkas said, annoyed. He held her arm for her, resulting in them to be uncomfortably close. So much so that she felt his long hair caressing her cheeks, she felt her face turning warm. Farkas was only trying to fix her stance but noticing that she was shaking from such a closeness from him, caused him to take a few steps back.
Farkas sighed "it is going to take a while for you to learn everything".

Afraid as she was in the start, she slowly began to trust Farkas and opened her heart to him. And from this, Farkas taught her to become brave and to stand up for herself.
Now she was temporarily leading them, a leader of the pack who arrived as a lost pup.
As everyone left for the fort, Farkas was about to leave as well. But (y/n) held his arm and looked at him intently
"Farkas... be careful" she muttered
"You don't have to worry about me (y/n), I will be careful" he smiled
"I don't want anything to happen to you... you were my shield when the world turned against me..." (y/n) said, grief hiding somewhere in her voice
"(Y/n)" Farkas chuckled and reached to her "I will be always here for you..." he reassured
"And I intend to be there for you too" (y/n) smiled and gently kissed him, taking him by surprise. Though it wasn't something that Farkas mind, he slowly kissed her back. They were both each other's shields....