Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

I needed to lock that window more often. “So you thought it was okay to just break into my house and make tea for yourself?” I was appalled. The manners that Mayra exhibited would one day bring Aria crashing down into the depths of uncleanliness and vulgarity. “How did you think that was a good idea?”

“Well, I needed to speak with you about some things,” she said, sitting back down at my table. “We left off on a very unfriendly note, if I recall correctly. I also recall that you did not give me the information on the prince that I requested,” she reminded me.

I didn’t care whether she recalled it correctly or not. “Sorry to burst your bubble, but I’m not giving you that information,” I said. “And I’m not a superhuman destined to save this world. I can’t even keep a sixteen-year-old from attacking me. Much less a man-eating serpent.”

Mayra chuckled. “It’s not exactly you that is the superhuman, per se.” She stroked her chin thoughtfully. “It is something you have that is—well—amazing.”

I considered her wise words in a moment of deep thought. “That makes perfect sense,” I said, nodding. “In fact, it makes as much sense as Odelia’s obsession with makeup.” I paused, waiting for Mayra to understand. Her blank expression said she didn’t, so I elaborated, “Odelia’s obsession doesn’t make sense. Odelia doesn’t even make sense.”

The witch frowned, her soft features breathtakingly beautiful. Like a portrait. She stood again, picking up her mug of tea in one hand. “Well, I don’t understand much of that. But since you are here, I want to test something directly,” she said. “I apologize prior to this action.”

Before I could respond, she took her mug and splashed it all over my face and clothes. I gaped at her. I was not the violent or straightforward type, but at that moment, all I wanted to do was grab her throat and throttle her like a rag doll. “Why the heck did you do that?” I yelled.

Mayra set her mug down on the table and studied me. “Bingo.” She pointed to my chest. For a brief, idiotic moment, I thought she was indicating to my unmentionable undergarment, but I quickly realized that she was pointing to my mother’s pendant, which was firmly attached to my blouse. It was glowing.

Great. That made sense now. I had a glowing pendant that held memories and loved tea.

Oh, Logic, where did you go?

Mayra looked proud of herself. “Of course!” She slapped her forehead. “I didn’t try water with Helena.” The witch drummed her fingers against each other with glee, a strange, excited expression overcoming her face. “Hehe! Water. Oh, the wonders that could do… One of the most powerful…” She began muttering to herself as she paced back and forth in my kitchen.

Meanwhile, I stood there, dripping wet with herbal tea. The manners of this woman were despicable. I entered the bathroom that adjoined my study and grabbed a towel. Why in Aria's name had she thrown tea at me? Was this woman mad?

I would never know because Mayra was gone when I reentered the kitchen.

                                                ————————

I lived a strange, strange life. Where witches throw tea at you and tell you to save the world. My existence in a nutshell.

I had just finished my morning lesson with Clarice the next day when I ran into the queen and her plethora of guards. I curtsied to her, but stopped halfway when she came over and hugged me.

“Lannie, I’m so sorry I couldn’t visit you,” she said. “I had so many things to do. Are you alright?”

I stood there awkwardly in her embrace. “Er… Yes, ma’am, I am. I think.”