Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The wind howled violently outside the window, making the curtain I was hiding behind feel as if it were moving.

“Lannie, come on,” Clarice’s disappointed moan echoed through the halls. “You promised to take me to see the jesters today before the banquet!”

I stood still and silent behind the thick window drapes, not daring to move or breathe. The fact that I had resorted to hiding from the duchess’ daughter was demoralizing. But I had a good reason for hiding from her.

For the past four days, I had been subject to unimaginable torture. The first day out with Clarice wasn’t as bad as I had thought it would be. Odelia agreed to my request to take Clarice out of the castle, giving reasonable restrictions to our excursions. Clarice was ecstatic when we went to see the water horses at Aria’s second water port. Thankfully, the horses were unusually docile and didn’t give us trouble when we rode in the boat. Clarice’s excitement was comparable to that of a two-year-old child on her birthday.

The second day was worse than the first. I ended up losing Clarice in a dancing festival held within the city square. It took me hours—hours—to find her, and I spent the entire time worrying over being imprisoned for losing the daughter of Duchess Faretra. When I finally found her, she was at the castle, wondering where I had been for six hours.

The third day involved visiting the magic shop. It would have been outlawed by Odelia, but Clarice threatened me with my job again, so we made the trip secretly. The witch who owned the magic shop showed us a living griffin and several disgusting jars with disgusting things in them. I made Clarice leave before the witch could coax us into purchasing a fairy.

But the fourth day was by far the worst. Clarice, who wasn’t allowed outside, wanted to visit the naiads.

And I had nearly died—once again. She told me they wouldn’t sing when we went to the bridge because Clarice was on the “approved” list of castle occupants.

Clarice was right in that respect: They didn’t sing. But they did hurl rocks at us when we reached the middle of the bridge. Deep down, I knew that they were targeting me specifically, but I figured that only because the dark-skinned naiad grinned at me before she tossed a lily pad at my face. Clarice and I escaped before they began to sing. Devilish urchins, I tell you.

So here I was on the fifth day, hiding like a coward behind one of the castle’s window drapes. I had just completed Clarice’s lesson when I excused myself to the bathroom. The wind was far too violent for me to escape the castle, so I was forced to settle with an obvious hiding place two floors down. Even if Clarice did find me, I would absolutely not take her to see the jesters today. Even if it cost me my job…

“I’ll have the guards look for you.” Clarice’s singsong voice was fearfully close to the drapes, although I knew she couldn’t see me behind the thick, floor-length curtains. “I intend to find you before the banquet!” One of Odelia’s famous banquets—or rather, entertainment parties—was scheduled for tonight. Clarice had informed me that if I didn’t go, she would tell Odelia everything. Even if I wasn’t found, I would die tonight at the banquet.

Step.

I could sense Clarice just outside the curtains. My breath made the minuscule hiding place hot and uncomfortable. I knew the drapes weren’t moving, but the wind pounding against the window almost made me believe that they were.

Step.

The drapes pulled back. I cringed.

“There you are.”