-17- A Cupcake a Day, keeps Sayori at Bay

Yo wassup, welcome to ze seventeenth chapter.
Sorry this took so long, but you know what they say right? Quality over quantity.
(That's just an excuse for me being lazy.)
The cupcake baking story arc has come to a close and now starts the new arc, also known as the festival arc...
Hope you enjoy!
(Please notify me on any grammar/spelling mistakes, so I can correct it ASAP)

———

Dan's POV

It was Monday today, otherwise known as the day of the festival.
Some clubs were looking forward to it, and others not.
Our plan for today is to try and grab the attention of the other students, ya know, maybe get a new member or two.

We do that by showing what our club is about and by paying people with free food. While Natsuki, Sayori and I are at the food stands representing the literature club with our home-made cupcakes, Yuri and Monika will be presenting some poems they've written last week in front of a crowd. Boy am I happy I'm not doing that...

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a croissant and a glass of orange juice.
I sat down on the couch and turned the tv on; seeing if there was something entertaining to watch.
After finding something to watch, I grabbed my phone and searched for Sayori in my contacts.
I sent her a message, hoping she would be awake. It'd be really weird if she wasn't, since school starts later today due to the festival.

Daniel: Wassup Sayori? You awake?

I didn't get a response for some minutes, I was actually wondering if she was really still asleep.
I mean, who's still sleeping at half past eleven in the morning? Well, you never know with Sayori.
Just as I thought that, I could hear my phone buzzing.

Sayori: Nothing much, and good morning to you too Dan.

Daniel: Wait, were you really still asleep just now?

Sayori: Yeah, less school means more sleep, right?

I rolled my eyes; typical Sayori.

Daniel: Whatever Sayori. But to get to the point, do you wanna ride with us to school? I don't really like the idea of carrying all those cupcakes to school on foot.

Sayori: Sure! But... who's "us" exactly?

Daniel: Oh I'm picking up Natsuki too.

Sayori: Ah... did it go well yesterday? ;)

Daniel: Just shut up and get ready for the festival.

Sayori: Alright, give me 30 minutes.

I turned my phone off and took a bite from my croissant, while turning my attention back to the tv.

———

Damn it, she's already five minutes late. She didn't fall asleep again, right? She better not. I decided to check on her, just in case. And you know, I can't just leave her hanging.

I rang the doorbell but even after waiting for minutes, there was no reply. Thankfully she told me where she hid her house key. We did that after being friends for so long, we practically don't even ask permission to enter anymore, but is was mainly meant for cases like today.

I entered her house and checked the dining room, seeing if she was still having breakfast. But she wasn't there. Neither was she in the kitchen, nor was she in the living room. Is she actually still sleeping? I slowly walked up the stairs, towards her room.

"Sayori? Are you up?" I knocked on her door. "Sayori, we have to leave now, otherwise we will not have enough time to prepare for the festival!" I decided not to wait any longer and slowly opened the door.

But what I saw next...

What... what the actual...

"S-Sayori?"

Is this a dream?

It... It can't be real.

"What the heck Sayori." I touched her shoulder.

"Since when did you clean your room?" I got her attention after touching her shoulder. She took her earphones out and greeted me with a smile. "Oh hey Dan! What are you doing here, aren't you a bit too early?" "Uhh no." I showed her my watch. "Ehehe... guess I got carried away a little." "And so you did. Are you ready though? We really have to leave now." "Yup! Let's go!" She said cheerfully before grabbing my arm and dragging me out of the house.

"Geez Sayori, I can walk by myself." "I know, but you're so slooooooww." I sat in the driver's seat and I started the car while Sayori got seated next to me. "Ooooh it smells good in here, can I sit in the back?" "No Sayori, I can't risk it, I never know what will happen when you're placed next to food. Natsuki will be watching over the cupcakes." I could see Sayori pouting next to me.

———

We stopped in front of Suki's house. I messaged her earlier while waiting for Sayori when we would come pick her up. I saw the front door open, revealing Natsuki with her dad patting her head and Natsuki was not looking too fond about that. While Natsuki walked towards the car, her dad waved at me. I waved back with an awkward smile.

Natsuki got seated in the back, next to the cupcakes. "Heyo Suki." "Morning Natsuki!" Sayori and I both greeted her. "Hm... Good morning." "Hey Natsuki, do you wanna switch places with me?" Sayori asked Natsuki with the puppy eyes look. "No Sayori, if I would do that then there will be no cupcakes left." "Awww come on, if we switch places you can sit next to Dan..." Sayori smirked at Natsuki, which Natsuki blushed at of course. "Why would I-I care about that." "Mhm... your face tells me otherwise." Sayori teased her a little more. "S-shut up, Sayori!" I sighed at Sayori's never-ending way of teasing people.

———

Oof!
I'll try not to take so long writing the next chapter.
See y'all then!