-41- Too busy looking at you

Welcome to ze forty-first chapter!
I despise summer with a heated passion, but I'll still be hard at work writing regardless!
Honestly, I wish this story was real, just so it could be winter again...
Anyway, have fun reading!
(Please notify me of any grammar/spelling mistakes, so I can correct them ASAP)

———

Dan's POV

"Where do you want to go first?"

"Anywhere, to be honest," Natsuki chuckled. "I want to forget about this brutal cold."

"You should've brought a warm hat, dumbass," I told her, gently ruffling her hair.

"Hey! You'll mess it up, bigger dumbass!" she pushed my hand away, only for her to hold onto it tightly afterwards.

I squeezed her hand gently, grinning at her. "Sorry, I'll try to hold myself back."

"You better!" she warned, whilst wearing a bright smile herself.

"That said, I really like how you've done your hair!" I motioned towards her short twin tails, this time not actually touching her. "I guess it was a worthy sacrifice not bringing a hat!"

Her face beamed with excitement. "Really?!"

"Yeah! I mean it," I laughed, gripping onto her hand just a bit tighter out of reassurance. I wanted to tell her more to make sure she believed it, out of habit, but I quickly remembered that we were in public.

Natsuki giggled. "That makes me happy, this was pretty easy to do as well!"

"That's good."

"Oh, Dan!" she suddenly began pulling me along with her through the busy, people-filled street. "I know what we should do!" her face turned away from me.

"What's that?"

"Let's try on some clothes together!"

"Eh?"

"Come oooon, hurry up!"

———

I feel out of place.

All Natsuki told me was to stay here, seated by the fitting rooms. However, she disappeared into the store on her own, and now I'm left alone.

Why does it have to be so busy today...

Well, I knew why, because it was quite literally winter break with the holidays coming up; of course most stores would be busier. But looking around me, I was the only guy there!

This is embarrassing.

I could not help but keep my eyes downwards and hope that no one would ask about my presence.

"I'm back!" Natsuki chimed, her hands stacked with clothes.

"Ah, I'm glad!" I told her, after I finally dared to look up again.

"Glad?" she eyed me suspiciously. "Why do you look so tense?"

I quickly eyed around us, checking if no one could hear me. I covered my mouth slightly, just to make sure. "It's scary here!"

"Scary?" she whispered back.

"Yes! There are only girls in this store! What if they judge me for being here?!"

Natsuki's solidary whispering immediately turned into snickering after she heard my reasoning. "You dummy..."

I gave her no response.