Chapter 18: Acute Girl and Obtuse Guy

Start from the beginning

It was like she couldn't make up her mind.

"Dane?"

No one was supposed to be here yet. The door was locked and door bell didn't ring, so it was impossible for anyone else to be in this house.

I was home alone, or that's what they wanted me to believe.

Don't tell me that I had the door unlocked all night long. Dad left at midnight and told me to lock the door behind him, but I was so busy finishing up my math homework from last week I must have forgot about it. 

Someone could have killed me last night if they wanted to. Who knows, they could still be after me.

From the minor heart attack that I experienced a few seconds ago from my unexpected visitor, I nearly dropped the small plate of pie I was carrying into the living room.

Thanks to Mike's ridiculously plush rug, I tripped over it and face planted onto one of the couches like those klutzes in a horror film that trip over nothing. Miraculously, the piece of pie stayed on the plate so I guess the couch cushioned the landing.

"Seriously?" A voice teased and giggled right afterwords.

Immediately, I recognized the voice to be Jacquelyn and my blood finally stopped racing at Sonic the hedgehog speed and put my fight or flight instincts down a few notches.

For a second, I thought it was a crazy mass murderer coming to chop me up into bits with his axe. I guess this shows that I watch way too many crime solving shows to the point it causes paranoia.

"You know," Jacquelyn laughed again as I heard her footsteps pad behind me "you would think a giant like you would be have a good aerial view over things so you wouldn't trip, but I guess not. Your the clumsiest giant that I have ever seen."

I laughed and propped myself up by my arms, still sprawled out on the couch and not pulling myself back onto my feet.  

While I was down here, I might as well reach out for the plate and put it on the black low rise coffee table Mike got a few weeks ago. I can't understand why Mike bought this puny little thing. When you're standing up and want to put something on the table, you practically have to squat to put it down and even when you are sitting you have to bend over a little bit.

"I may not know physics as well as you do, but the taller you are the harder it is to balance." I grinned as I looked behind me and found her shaking her head and putting her hands on her hips.

"Sure," she grinned "whatever. Now are you going to greet me or what?"

Jacquelyn opened her arms and expectantly waited for her hug and smirked as she watched me squirm to get up from the couch. She could have helped me up but it is classic of her to watch me fail and struggle.

Once I was back on my feet, I laughed and gave her a huge hug. "You could have helped me up, you know." 

"Psh," she smirked as she shook her head to clear out the hair from her face and poked my bicep a few times with her bright neon green pinkie nail. "I'm doing you a favor and helping you build up these muscles. That way, you would be able to balance more at that sort of height."

Jacquelyn winked at me and made her way over to the table, smirking as she slung her pink striped tote bag off her shoulder and opened it to take out her math book.

"What are you implying by that?" I questioned with a grin as I flopped down on the couch to sit next to her.

Her eyebrows curved into a mischievous arch while she flipped through her math book to find the right page. "Why do I have a feeling you already know?" she replied while the corner of her lip curled into a smirk.