Fortune Cookies

The bell rings for class to end as Lydia jots down the last bit of notes. Once she packs her things she gets up to leave and notices a certain brown eyed boy waiting outside the door. She smiles before noticing that his gaze isn't directed towards her but instead at the werecoyote behind her. A frown replaces her smile but she doesn't understand why. She should be used to it by now. His attention is no longer hers, nor is his heart. These days she's used to being alone.

She walks behind them as she makes her way to her locker. Watching their light happy steps and swinging hands makes the two minute journey feel longer. She wouldn't admit it to anyone, but she misses him. He's there, but he's not really there. He's like a ghost. She can see him but she can't feel him. It hurts, she's already lost so much, and now she's losing him too.

She grabs her bag and throws it over her shoulder, wanting to leave as quickly as possible. She walks past them as they kiss and whisper sweet nothings to one another and tears prick her eyes. Seeing them together reminds her that she missed her chance. That she'll never find love like that again. She's reminded that Allison isn't there to tell her it will all be okay. Once Lydia steps foot in her car the dams break and she cries. Because Allison is gone, and Aiden is gone, and Stiles is as good as gone and the grief is unbearable.

She pulls out of the school parking lot when she sees Stiles and Malia walk out. She drives as tears cascade down her face and sobs escape her throat. Thinking back over the days when things were good and Allison was alive she presses on the gas just a little harder. And soon she's going seventy five on a thirty five miles per hour road. She's not sure what she's doing. All she knows is thst Allison is dead, and Aiden is dead, and Stiles is gone and it hurts. All she knows is that she wants the pain to end.

The sirens and the flashing red, white and blue lights of a squad car bring her out of her trance and she is suddenly aware of how fast she's going. She thanks God that the road is empty besides her and the squad car. She slows down until she comes to a complete stop on the side of the road before resting her head on the steering wheel waiting for the inevitable knock on her window. When it comes she looks up and is surprised to see the Sheriff standing before her. She rolls down her window and notices that he has the same look of surprise. When he sees her tear streaked face and the broken expression she wears he puts away the ticket pad knowing that he won't be needing it.

"Lydia? You ok?" He asks cautiously. She bites her lip and shakes her head. "Well what's wrong?"

She looks at him and hesitates, but she knows that if there's anyone in this town she can pour her heart out to it's the Sheriff and possibly Mama McCall.

"I'm just so sad. And lost. And I miss her so so much. And I miss him too, even though he's here, I still miss him. I just- I don't know how to do this anymore." She says as she stares off lost in the depths of her own mind.

"Do what Lydia?" At the sound of his voice her head snaps back to face him.

"Live." His heart breaks for her with that simple word. He can see her shaking hands and he knows she needs somebody, anybody to show her that they care. It seems as though the pack hasn't done that for her.

"Is anyone home?" She shakes her head again. "Well listen, my shift is about over how would you like to come over for dinner, we're having Chinese." She smiles slightly and nods her head.

"I'd like that."

::

On the drive home he calls Stiles to tell him not to bring over Malia and to pick up food on the way home. When he pulls into the driveway, Lydia's car parking behind him, he opens the door and welcomes her into his home. She hasn't been in the Stilinski house in months yest it still feels more like home than her own house.

"What would you like?" The Sheriff calls out from the kitchen, menu in one hand and a phone pressed against his ear with the other.

"Lo mein for me please." He repeats her order into the phone before hanging up.

"So Lydia, tell me what's bugging you?" He asks as he joins her at the table. She looks at him confused.

"What do you mean? I already told you."

"Yea, but I have a feeling there's something else. Maybe a certain someone." She looks down shyly.

"He loves her now. I had my chance." She says sadly.

"Well, that doesn't sound like the Lydia I've heard about." She looks at him curiously. "The Lydia I know would fight for what she wants."

"The old Lydia died with Allison. Now I'm just a shell." She whispers.

"But wouldn't it be so much better to honor Allison by being who you were while she was around? Do that and you'll never lose her."

"You're right." She smiles slightly. "Thank you." A moment later the sound of a door closing fills the space.

"Why did you order so much food?" Stiles says as he walks through the house. He stops when he reaches the kitchen surprised to see Lydia sitting at his kitchen table. "Lydia? I didn't know you where coming over." He said glancing towards his father.

"I invited her over for dinner."

"Ah, well then let's eat, I'm guessing you ordered the lo mein." He says setting down her carton.

"Indeed." She says grabbing a pair of chopsticks. He sets the sesame chicken in front of his dad before taking a seat across from Lydia. He reaches into the bag and pulls out the phadtai and dumps the fortune cookies in the middle.

They eat in silence and he feels awkward. He's been distancing himself from Lydia thinking that she needed time and space. He didn't know that she needs him now more that ever. Over time his love for her had lessened. He has Malia now. But seeing her there in his kitchen feeling so natural and at home reignited that flame that he so desperately tried to keep at bay.

When he's almost done with his food he reaches for two of the six fortune cookies. He cracks one open and reads it.

'Love waits for you. All you gotta do is look up.'

He looks up and all he sees is her. It seems as though she's even more beautiful than before. Her hair is up and her lips are pulled down in a frown. She's breathtaking and she's not even trying. He realizes now that no one will ever be able to replace the spot she has in his heart. He opens the other.

'There is more to people that meets the eye.'

He looks at her again, but this time with a new perspective. This time he sees a broken girl. A girls who's grieving, and yearning to disappear. A girl who just wants to know she's cared about, and loved. She's a sad girl. And he realizes that all that time he spent distancing himself from her should have been spent helping her. He should have held her while she cried, and had nightmares. He should have been there for her. But he wasn't, and he hates himself for that. But he's gonna show her that she's loved and care for and that she's not alone.

When the Sheriff leaves to throw away trash Lydia looks up and catches Stiles staring.

"What?" She ask.

"I love you. And that will never change." He says confidently because a fortune cookie told him that love was waiting for him and he didn't want to keep love waiting. She smiles shyly.

"I love you too."

::

A/N: Well I hoped you guys liked it. It was really hard to come up with an idea so please don't hesitate to send in prompts on what you want from me. Also don't forget to check out my other story called Teen Wolf (Divergent AU).

Love you all