He clapped his hand down on Rivik's shoulder and pushing the boy forward, announced, 'the healer you seek is here.'

-

Bram laid in his room alone, staring at the ceiling. He was as silent and still as a corpse, but inside, unheard, he raged against the cage that his body had become. He was little more than a puppet, put away until its next performance.

When called upon his mouth would open and words would come, but they were not his, no matter how much they sounded like it. He could see the world through his own eyes but had no power over which way they turned. And so, under whatever spell it was that gripped him, he was forced to face Vada's pain filled face when the challenge was issued. He had to witness the heartbreak in her eyes and was left to wonder how much she must hate him, tormented as much by his own thoughts as by the memory of her pain.

The hours wore on and still his body remained perfectly still, that is until, without so much as a warning knock, the door creaked open and Chief Han'ril strode in.

'Sit up,' Han'ril commanded. Bram's body obeyed, swinging it's legs around to drop them heavily to the floor.

'Eat.' Came the next command and once again Bram's body obeyed, taking the tray of food from the Chief setting it down across his broad lap.

Han'ril wasted no time hanging around, he left as suddenly as he had appeared. Upon his exit the distinct sound of a key turning and a lock clicking shut sounded throughout the quiet cell-like room. Bram scoffed, surely his father did not fear that his son's spelled body would wonder away. Perhaps, he thought, the man held some mistaken belief that someone would attempt to come to save a treacherous prince. Bram held no such hope, thanks to his father. Still, the chief wasn't taking any chances and that made Bram wonder whether there was something he had been missing.

'Bram.'

A familiar voice echoed through his mind, startling his senses and diverting his train of thought. Am I hearing things, he wondered, have I become so desperate to plead my case that my subconscious is summoning her voice to bring me some form of peace?

'Bram.'

'How I wish you were really here Vada,' Bram groaned, thinking back to the last time they had actually spoken. Rivik had kissed her, he recalled the site clearly in his mind and how angry and stupid he had been. Now alone he had the clarity to berate himself.

'I am here, Bram-'

Though he didn't believe it could be true, Bram decided that imaginary or not, he would entertain this conjuring, if only to pass the time. 'Where, how... the doors locked!'

'I'm kind ofeverywhere. It's hard to explain.'

There was so much conviction in her voice that Bram found himself believing. With nothing to lose he replied, 'Vada, I'm trapped here, in my own body. Han'ril is controlling me somehow-'

'That's a relief!'  Vada proclaimed, 'I mean, it's awful that you're under a spell but it's better than-'

'True betrayal, I get it don't worry.' Bram chuckled. As he laughed and his body ate, as ordered, he felt a strange sensation in his chest. Warmth spread within him, he felt lighter as a sliver of hope managed to blossom in pit of despair that had formed upon his imprisonment. There was a chance that he could reclaim his position in Pyrite, small though it was.

'I bring good news,' Vada announced, her voice bright and energetic now. 'You have a niece!'

'A niece,' he mumbled in wonder, then gasped as realisation struck. 'So you know, Diya told you?'

'Yes, but I think she underestimates your feelings for her-'

'No, she knows how I feel. I'm not sure what she told you Vada but I only see her as a sister.Bram insisted. 'I love her, but not in the same way that Iove...er' Bram's heart skipped a beat as he caught himself, 'other people, women I mean, I don't see her like that.'

All Bram could do was thank the gods that this conversation hadn't happened face to face and hope that he wasn't broadcasting too much.

Further conversation was halted when a key rattled in the door, a moment later it was thrown open. Han'ril had returned. He looked at Bram, still perched on the edge of the bed holding his tray that now held only empty dishes. His eyes narrowed as he stepped forward and assessed the vacant face that stared back at him.

'You look flushed,' the Chief mumbled, feeling Bram's forehead with the back of his hand. 'Did you drink your water?' He mumbled, peering in the cup that was indeed empty. Unsure, he took the tray and commanded Bram to rest, locking the door behind him once again as he left frowning.

'Listen Vada, this spell stops me having any control over my body-'

'Then why did Han'ril lock the door?'

'My thoughts exactly. He knows I won't be saved, he made sure I'd be seen as a traitor in Riska-'

'Then he's afraid his spell will be discovered, but who would be willing to seek you out against Han'ril's orders?'

They each fell silent as they ran the thought through their minds, contemplating the situation.

'Could it be Menos he fears?' Bram wondered through their link.

'Surely he knows that a locked door would not keep Menos out,'  Vada replied. 'No, my guess is that your father is working with Menos. If word gets out that he is controlling you, it would be obvious to everyone and he would lose his seat as Junketta Chief-'

'Then it is Rivik he fears!' Bram declared suddenly. 'It's the only thing that makes sense. He has kept us apart and Rivik would welcome a way to dethrone our old man!'

'Is he so desperate for the throne?' Vada questioned, wondering whether she should be more wary of the Junketta prince.

'He's desperate to be out from under Han'ril. He's in the process of being married off.'  Bram explained, 'he loves Diya, but Han'ril would never allow them to be together-'

'What if he finds out that the baby is Kin?'

'She is?' Bram gasped. 'That's a surprise. Should Han'ril find out he will do anything to steal her and use her power. He wants control over the Rystwith Mountains, Vada. He wants all the villages under his rule.'

'Then I have to defeat him, and I'm afraid that means I'll have to defeat you first.'