"Why do I have to hide it?" she asked. She didn't see a reason to hide it this time around.

"You won't have to hide it forever," Alden said gently. "Just for a little while, to give everyone time to adjust to you. In the meantime, the session will be listed as remedial studies on your schedule."

Adjust.

Out of everyone, she would be doing the most adjusting. Reliving everything was a huge change and quite honestly, it hadn't really hit her yet. She was still in shock.

Alden turned to Tiergan, who had backed a few feet away from everyone. "I'm assuming you don't want to come in."

"Finally, a correct assumption." Tiergan's voice was cold, but it warmed when he looked at Sophie. "I'll see you Tuesday." Then he raised a pathfinder to the light and vanished in a brilliant flash.

Alden laughed. "Well, that went better than expected." He licked a panel on the enormous gates, taking Sophie's hand as they swung inward.

He led her through Everglen's sprawling grounds, explaining how her new school schedule would have two sessions a day plus lunch and study hall.

"My office is this way," Alden said, leading her through another shimmering hall. "We can talk there. There is much to dis—"

The sound of arguing cut him off, and when they entered a wide sitting room filled with overstuffed armchairs and elegant statues, they found a dark-haired girl about Sophie's age, who appeared to be shouting at herself.

A woman wearing an elegant purple gown appeared out of thin air next to the girl and said, "You're home."

Sophie squealed. Fitz snickered. So much for keeping her cool.

"Sophie, this is my wife, Della." Alden's cheeks were pinched—like he was trying not to laugh. "And my daughter, Biana," he added, gesturing to the girl. "My dear, I don't believe our guest is used to being around Vanishers."

"I'm so sorry," Della said, smiling at Sophie. She had a musical voice with just a hint of Alden and Fitz's accent. "Are you okay?"

"Yes," Sophie mumbled. Della's beauty was like a force, pulling every eye to her as she tossed her long, chocolate brown hair and pursed her heart-shaped lips. And Biana had all of her parents' best features, combined in the best possible way. It was hard not to feel like a gangly troll, especially when Biana frowned and asked, "Is that my dress?"

"Yes." Alden interceded. "Sophie needed to borrow it to go on a few errands."

"I can change. Sorry," Sophie apologized. "I'm new here."

"You can keep it. It's kind of frumpy." Biana looked away.

"I can imagine you have excellent taste in fashion," Sophie commented. She was hoping that was the right thing to say to make Biana like her sooner.

Biana gave her a small smile but immediately looked away.

"Quinlin sent the files you requested," Della told Alden. "I put them in your office." Her smile faded. "And the Council denied our request. But they did approve Grady and Edaline."

Sophie was well aware they were talking about her adoption. She felt a pang in her chest. She had to act immaculate to Grady and Edaline so they wouldn't try to give her up for adoption.

One wall in Alden's office had a large, curved window overlooking a silvery lake. A floor-to-ceiling aquarium wrapped the rest of the room. Sophie waited in an enormous wingback chair facing Alden, who sat behind a black desk piled with books and scrolls. Anxiety tightened her chest as the walls of water seemed to close in.

Sophie sucked in a breath to remind herself she wasn't drowning and pointed to the stacks of human newspapers piled next to her chair. Articles were circled in red and then crossed out. "Keeping up with the news?"

"Something like that." Alden gave her a seldom smile. Sophie wanted to hurry up and get this conversation over with.

"Why am I here? Why do you seem worried to tell me something?" Sophie asked quietly.

"Sophie," Alden pinched the bridge of his nose. "You're going to move into the Lost Cities, you'll be living with Grady and Edaline."

Sophie nodded.

"But... with all that, it means-" Alden paused trying to figure out how to break the news. "You won't be living with your human parents anymore."

She felt the blood drain from her face. "Oh."

Somehow it did sting as much as it did the first time.