44. new beginning

Start from the beginning

Once the door had closed behind us, the figure took their mask off. Once he was free of the mask I was able to see that he was a boy, probably around my age. He was good looking to say the least and wore a smile on his face.

"Sorry if I scared you," he said as he peeled the suit off, "The suit is mandatory when entering the quarantine ward."

I shook my head slightly, "Why was I being quarantined? I'm not sick."

He smiled as he hung the suit on a hook beside the door, "It's a long story, maybe one day I'll tell you. But for now, you need to get changed." he said as he began guiding me down another hall.

I stopped, turning to face him, "You said you were taking me to my friends."

The boy smiled once again, "I am, but you need to get changed out of those clothes first. There's an outfit laid out for you in there. Feel free to take anything else you want to wear." he explained, pointing to a door ahead of us.

I stared at him for a long moment and he stared back before finally speaking, "I promise you I'm taking you to your friends, you can trust me."

I let out a small laugh, "I don't even know your name, how can I trust you?"

The boy smiled as he pushed the door open for me, "It's Landen, now go. I'll come back in a few minutes. Leave your clothes in there when you're done."

I gave him one final look before entering into the small room. It was not near as pristine as the other one, but rather had a more comfortable feel to it. There was a couch and a dresser with jewelry boxes set on top.

On the couch was a casual dress and a pair of simple shoes. I stared down at it. I hadn't worn a dress in what felt like forever.

I ran my hand over the fabric, marvelling at how nice it felt. Wherever we were, it was obvious that they had more novelties than we ever did on the Ark.

After looking around for another few minutes, I finally peeled off the outfit I was wearing and pulled the dress on. It fit nicely and made me feel pretty, something I hadn't felt in a long time. I slipped the shoes on and made my way to the dresser. I opened one of the jewelry boxes, starring in awe at the beautiful necklaces and bracelets.

I picked up a simple gold necklace and held it up to my neck for a second before setting it down again, deciding not to become too enthralled in what this place had to offer.

Just then, there was a knock at the door and it opened a crack, "Are you ready?" Landen asked from behind the door.

I nodded, before realizing he couldn't see me, "Yeah, I'm good." I answered.

He pushed the door open fully as I made my way towards him. His hair was wet and he had changed his clothes, like he had showered in the short amount of time that we were apart.  When he caught sight of me in my new outfit, he smiled, "You look nice."

I felt a blush rise on my cheeks and I did everything to fight it, I didn't even know this guy. Before I knew it, my mind was rushing to Bellamy. I knew the feelings I had for him I couldn't deny, but at the same time I knew he would never feel the same.

"Avery?" Landed asked, pulling me from my thoughts, "Are you okay?"

I shook my head, "Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking."

"About what?" he asked as the two of us walked back down the hall.

I shrugged, not really wanting to open up to him about what I was actually thinking "Well to be honest, I'm kind of wondering where I am."

Landed laugh as we turned a corner, "I'll explain everything, I promise."

I was hoping he was going to explain everything now, but instead we were stopped by a guard standing in front of the door at the end of the hallway.

"I'll take it from here." he announced, reaching out to pull me away from Landen.

Panic bubbled up inside me. I had only known Landen for less than 30 minutes but I trusted him much more than I trusted this guard.

Landen shook his head as he pulled me back towards him, "I'll take her up."

The guard looked confused, "That's not your job and besides you have to-"

Landen cut him off, "I've already decontaminated" that explains why it looked like he had showered, "And I can take her up, I'm done for the day."

My eyes darted between the guard and Landen who were caught in a stare down. Finally the guard nodded, reaching out to open the door for us, "Have a good day then."

Once the two of us were through the door, I turned to Landen, "Okay, now start explaining."

-an-

hello season 2!!!! so I wasn't really sure where I was going to head with this chapter so I just let my mind run free and I think I like this chapter. we have an intro of a new character, one that might be a threat to bellamy maybe???? uh oh

let me know what you guys thought of this chapter!!!

-maddy xoxo