chapter seven

"Oh, Sephy." Jackie was practically cackling "You are so funny, love."

"I guess it just wasn't meant to be." Sephy shrugged "Turns out, you don't find true love on the London Underground."

Adam folded his arms over his chest and smiled to himself, leaning against the kitchen side. "Yes, very funny, Sephy. You know who else would like that joke? Jonny."

"Adam, stop it!" Jackie hissed, smacking her eldest son's arm, before awkwardly clearing her throat and continuing "Anyway, Jonathon will be here soon. He's running very late, I don't know what's going on with him..."

Sephy furrowed her brows and looked strangely at Adam. "Why do you keep talking about your brother? You're being weird tonight."

"Well, I was just saying I'm sure Jonny would love that joke because he just loves your sense of humour and personality in general really." Adam chimed.

"He's my best friend." Sephy rolled her eyes with a smirk "And you, Adam, are a child."

The backdoor swung open and Martin appeared, shirtless of course. He dusted himself down and looked around. "Hello Adam, Sephy. Jonny here yet?"

"He's still not here yet, Martin." Jackie confirmed for her husband as she put the chicken into the oven.

"We were just saying how much Jonny loves Sephy's sense of humour."  Adam called over to his dad.

"What? Oh, yes! Because he fancies her!" Martin laughed heartily, and the room fell silent. Jackie went wide eyed and Adam suddenly looked to Sephy.

"What?" Sephy half laughed but went quiet very quickly.

Adam cleared his throat, before putting a hand on Sephy's shoulder and leading her into the hall. "I can explain..."

"Look..." Adam sighed, only now feeling slightly guilty for grassing up his younger brother "Jonny's had a crush on you since you guys were at school together and now you're back in his life I think he's fallen in love with you allover again."

Sephy looked at Adam in bewilderment. "Jonny's in love with me?"

"Yes..." Adam pressed his lips together anxiously "...do you, by any chance, happen to love him too?"

Sephy sighed and buried her head in her palms. "I mean, I don't know... I've never really thought of him like that. Of course, I care about him. I've known him years..."

"Do you think you could ever care about him in a...romantic-al....sort of way?" Adam cracked his knuckles and looked at Sephy desperately.

Sephy huffed and shrugged, throwing her arms about. "I mean... He is funny... And gorgeous..."

"Sorry, are we still talking about my brother?" Adam scoffed, knocking Sephy's arm jokingly. She laughed and hit Adam lightly in return.

"Well, I guess... I'd actually quite like to go on a date with your brother." Sephy admitted, looking at the floor and shrugging.

"You want to date Pissface? Well, that's not disgusting. You know, if you snog him you might catch some fatal disease." Adam scoffed.

"Shut up." Sephy laughed, shoving Adam lightly. At that moment, the doorbell rang, and Adam stepped forward to answer it.

"Evening." Jonny nodded, stepping inside. At the sight of him, Sephy couldn't help smile. However, her smile immediately faded as she saw an unfamiliar young woman follow Jonny into the house.

Adam's eyes widened at the sight of this woman too. He opened his mouth to speak but said nothing. Suddenly, the whole family joined them in the hallway.

Jackie came to a halt in the middle of the hallway, gob-smacked by the sight of this female visitor. Martin looked as bewildered as the rest.

"Everybody..." Jonny cleared his throat, his arm around his female companion "This is Laura. My girlfriend."