chapter five

"Oh, I am so happy for you sweetie! Well done!" Jackie kissed Sephy's cheek. She laughed and waved it off, turning to the mirror to fix her hair.

She had to look perfect today.

In the reflection, Sephy spotted Martin who was both topless and confused. "What's happened, Sephy? What's everyone saying 'well done' for?" He furrowed his brows.

"Well, I've have a job interview today. It's at this comic book place, so if it all goes to plan I could end up working as a comic book artist!" Sephy couldn't help grin while she spoke about it.

Jackie reappeared from the kitchen.
"Oh, Martin, put a top on. We've got to go and pick up Adam in a minute." She sighed, passing her husband a checked shirt.

Sephy looked at her watch. "You're picking Adam up? Hasn't been got a job to go to?" She asked in confusion.

"Both him and Jonny managed to get the day off. Martin, Adam and I are taking my mother to Brighton for the day." Jackie explained as she picked out a necklace and joined Sephy opposite the mirror to put it on.

"What about Jonny?" She asked. Sephy wasn't quite sure why Jonny was on her mind. She had very much enjoyed being in his company lately.

"Oh, Jonny. Well, he wanted to stay here for the day because he wants to watch the match on our TV because we have Sky sports." Jackie concluded, gesturing to the living room which would presumably be Jonny's home for the day.

Once Martin had buttoned up his shirt and Jackie had fixed her hair, they made for the front door before anything else could interrupt them.

"Right, I'll see you later, Sephy. What time are you leaving for your interview?" Jackie asked. Sephy checked her watch once more.

It was in an hour's time.

"Ten." Sephy replied. Jackie nodded, pulling her husband through the door before calling back to Sephy.

"Okay well if Jonny comes over before you leave just make sure he doesn't burn the house down." She laughed "See you later, love!"

-

Sephy paced the corridors restlessly. Ten minutes until she had to leave.

She turned to the mirror. Hair tied up loosely in a ponytail, some of the shorter bits left out to frame her face, just the top two buttons of her shirt undone. Sephy had to admit; she actually looked rather smart for her interview.

At that moment, Jonny stumbled through the front door. Sephy flinched and sighed.

"Oh god, I feel awful..." Jonny groaned, going straight through to the living room.

Sephy laughed and sweeped some hair behind her ears, before following him to the main room. "And hello to you too." She smirked.

Jonny huffed and threw himself into the sofa, before jabbing the remote at the TV. "Give me a hand, would you? I just want Sky Sports..." He grumbled.

Sephy sighed and nodded, snatching the remote off him, though she had to leave for my interview in less than five minutes. "There you go... How come your parents have Sky Sports and you don't?" She handed him back the remote once she'd got the TV working.

"They got it when I used to live here. Never got rid of it. I don't even have a TV lisence." Jonny shrugged.

"Fair enough." Sephy smirked, before checking her watch.

10:00 AM.

"Well, I'll see you later then, Jonny." Sephy called to him as she made for the front door. She grabbed her heels and slipped them on one at a time.

All set to go, Sephy was suddenly called back by Jonny.

"Sephy! ...Come back!" He yelled. Sephy huffed and trundled back into the main room. Jonny was breathing heavily with one hand on his stomach and the other clutching the arm of the sofa for dear life.

"Don't tell me you're pregnant." Sephy rolled her eyes. Jonny huffed.

"Piss off, I-...I think I'm gonna be sick..." He went deathly pale.

Sephy rushed over to Jonny and quickly helped him to the bathroom.
"Not in the sink, Jonny!" She pulled him away to the sink and towards the toilet, watching him kneel down but turning away as he started throwing up.

She checked her watch. Ten past Ten. With the interview was at half past, it was definite Sephy was late now.

"Jonny, are you going to be okay?" She frowned, putting her hand on his shoulder as he crouched over the bowl.

"Yeah, I'll be alright." He shrugged it off nonchalantly, but seconds later he was throwing up half his body weight again.

Sephy frowned. "Oh Jonny..." She sighed, rubbing his back gently "I'll stay here with you today."

"Weren't you going out somewhere?" Jonny choked out between hurls. Sephy shook my head and shrugged.

"It's nothing." She lied.

-

"They'll be home soon for Friday night dinner." Sephy told Jonny as she handed him a glass of water. He nodded but wasn't saying too much.

He'd probably lost his words in vomiting. The two just sat on the sofa together a comfortable silence.

There was a click and the door opened. Martin was cursing, Jackie was huffing. Adam could be heard sighing audibly. The Goodmans were home.

"Hi Jackie, hi Martin, Adam." Sephy called to them all. Jonny sighed and shivered, looking even more nauseated, leaning his weight onto Sephy a little.

"Oh, hello love! How was the interview?" Jackie called back. Sephy paused.

"You had an interview?" Jonny looked at Sephy. She cleared my throat awkwardly as the others joined them in the living room.

Jackie looked horrified when she saw the state of her youngest son.
"Oh my god, what's happened?" She squeezed onto the sofa next to Jonny.

"Don't squeeze me." Jonny squeaked, a hand darting to his stomach cautiously.

"He's been sick all day. Food poisoning, we think..." Sephy explained softly, her hand on Jonny's shoulder. He groaned once more.

"Oh, Jonny-boo..." Jackie cooed to him.

Martin sat down next to Adam on the sofa opposite his youngest son and Sephy. "Well, did you get the job then?" Martin asked, rubbing his hands together.

Jonny furrowed his brows. "What job?" He asked. Sephy pressed her lips together.

"Sephy had a job interview today for a cauliflower artist." Martin explained, smiling slightly, very proudly.

"Comic book artist." Sephy corrected him.

Jonny looked around the room in confusion. "But Sephy was here with me all day." He furrowed his brows.

Jackie's eyes widened as she realised what had happened. Adam looked at Sephy, wide eyed. "So you stayed here looking after pissface all day and missed your interview?" Adam quizzed her.

Jonny looked at Sephy. "But I thought you really wanted a job?"

"Yeah, well, I couldn't leave you like this." Sephy sighed. She saw Jackie grinning in the corner of her eye.

"I'll go start dinner..." Jackie said, leaving the room smiling to herself.

"I can't believe you did that all for my stupid brother." Adam raised his brows in disbelief. Sephy laughed and shrugged it off. Jonny went quiet.

"I'm gonna go help Jackie get dinner ready..." I smiled and excused myself.