Chapter 31

Hey Readers! Here's chater 31! I hope you like it :). Song on the side is "Why" by Rascal Flatts. It really describes Nate's feelings about Riley. 

Nate POV

I stayed at the cemetery for three more hours. I didn't say anything, just laid down and looked up at the morning sky. It's the calmest I've felt without being sh*t-faced drunk. I heard the creak opening of the front gates, and footsteps running towards me. 

"Nate!" a voice cried, still rushing towards me. I lifted my head up to see Grace, tears running down her cheeks. F*ck. I sat all the way up and got to my feet. 

"What happened?" I demanded. Grace reached me and grabbed my hand, trying to pull me with her. 

"Nate, come quick! W-We have to... We have to go-" She stuttered, trying to drag me. I wouldn't budge. 

"Grace, what the hell happened?" I asked her. She looked up at me, her eyes red and she let out a sob. 

"It's Brian. H-He's not doing well. We don't think he has much t-time left." Oh sh*t. Not Brian, no this wasn't happening. Grace started to cry again. He doesn't have much time left. F*ck! We ran to her car and she drove as fast as she could back to the house. 

My door was already opened as the car skidded to a stop. I jumped out and sprinted to Sheila's house. Her house doubled as a small hospital for the pack. I ran inside with Grace hot on my heels. We found the room where Brian was held. We walked in, and my eyes widened at the thin, ill form laying on the bed with Cameron grasping his hand. This was not Brian. This was not the man who growled at me fiercely when he thought I was the one who kidnapped his daughter. This was not the man who made sex jokes in front of Riley and me. This was not the man who took me into his family as one of his own. This man looks defeated, broken, and ready to die. 

"Nate, Grace, come inside," he croaked. We did as we were told and shut the door quietly behind us. 

"I-Is there anything we can do, Brian?" Grace asked, trying not to cry. 

"Sheila said there is nothing to do but say goodbye," Brian choked and coughed on his words. Cameron let out a sob, and Grace instantly went to comfort him. 

"Why didn't you tell anybody, Dad?" Cameron asked, becoming angry. "We could've helped you sooner!"

"This would have happened eventually, the loss of my mate and daughter is just too much. I'm not strong enough to handle it anymore," Brian whispered, tears forming in his eyes. 

"That's not true," I intervened. "You are strong." Brian cracked a tiny smile and coughed a little. 

"You are much stronger. All of you are much stronger than me," Brian replied. We stayed silent for a moment, with the exception of Grace's muffled sobs. "I... I would like to speak with Grace alone if it is possible, boys," he continued. I nodded and walked out of the door with Cameron as he closed it behind him. Cameron slid down on the floor and sat there, his eyes vacant. 

"My mother, my sister, and now my dad," Cameron started. "Who's next, my mate?" I  growled lowly, and Cameron's head snapped up. "Sorry," he winced. Cameron and I were alike in more ways than one. Although our personalities differ, we come from the same background. Our families are dead, but we still have to be strong to protect our mates. The only difference is Cameron's mate is still alive, while mine is not. We stayed silent until we heard the door being opened, and Grace walk out sniffling. 

"Nate," she said, "H-He wants to see you." She then walked into Cameron's embrace and they comforted each other. I looked away; I felt like I was intruding on one of their private moments of vulnerability. I walked into the dimly lit room and closed the door behind me. 

"Nate," Brian whispered. I walked closer to the bed he was laying on, and kneeled down to his level. 

"I'm so sorry," I started. "If I had protected Riley better, she would still be here. You would be okay." Brian shook his head weakly and coughed. 

"Stop blaming yourself. It's not your fault," he replied and I kept thinking to that dream I had. It's your fault, It's all your fault. I didn't know what to believe. So I just nodded and bent my head down. "Nate you are like a son to me, you know that?" 

"Yeah," I choked out. D*mnit Nate, don't cry. I took a deep breath. I won't cry; I'll show Brian that I can be strong. 

"Can you promise me something?" Brian asked me. He sounded like he was struggling to talk. I nodded, and waited for him to  continue. He coughed once more. "Don't give up on your life, Nate. I know it will be...be hard sometimes. But do it for Riley. You're the only one who can keep her memory alive. So you have to stay alive..." He trailed off as he started to cough again. He doesn't want me to kill myself to be with Riley. I let my mind wander to earlier in the graveyard where I was planning to end my life to reunite with her once again. My plans were stupid; I needed to stay here to keep her memory alive. 

"Please promise me, Nate," Brian choked out. 

"I promise," I said sincerely, my voice coming out huskily. 

"Thank you, son," he said and laid back on the pillows. "I trust you." I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. "Can you send Cameron in here, please?' Brian whispered. I nodded and walked out of the room signaling for Cameron to enter. 

I sat with Grace as she cried silently, while I was thinking hard about Brian's words. I couldn't possibly defy him; it was his last request of me. I had to honor it. You're the only one who can keep her memory alive. The phrase kept replaying in my head. Whatever happens, I know I can't give up. I have to keep on living my life, even when it feels like I'm not living at all. 

It was thirty minutes until Cameron came out of the room, his eyes red-rimmed and his hair disheveled.

"He's gone," Cameron said finally. 

***********************************************************************************

The funeral was shortly after. Brian was buried next to his mate, with the words 'Here lies Brian Emerson: A loving Husband, Father, and Friend. The whole pack was there, whispering words of grief and 'It's such a shame.' Cameron was numb at this point, holding on to a sobbing Grace. And me? I didn't know what to feel. To Brian, dying was probably a relief from the devastation of losing his mate and daughter. I desperately wanted to feel that relief, I didn't want to feel that ache in my chest anymore. But I couldn't give up. Not now, when I had made that promise to Brian. 

I felt myself become angry. Why was it that I had to stay here, while everyone I love was leaving me? I needed to go somewhere else. I needed to go beat the sh*t out of something. Taking off my suit jacket, I walked to the gym. 

Poor Emersons :( What will happen next? 

Please Don't forget to Fan/Vote/Commet and enjoy :).