Chapter 28

Hey readers! Here's another chapter :). I hope this one is longer... 

This chapter has to do with how Nate is coping, I know so sad! But it has to happen... it's important for you to see Nate and Emily's struggle without their mates. Happy reading! 

Nate POV

It's been a week since I asked the Alpha to move into the vacant house. He complied, and now I have a house of my own. All on my own, actually. I paid for it myself with the money from teaching self defense. It doesn't have much inside, a table and chairs, a bed in the bedroom, bathroom necessities. I don't have much of my personal stuff to put in it. So basically, it's empty. But that's how I like it. It mirrors my own image. Empty. I was starting to feel the familiar ache in my chest, so I walked over to the mini-fridge in the kitchen, and took out a bottle of Jack. I took a swig of the alcohol, let the images of Riley fill my mind, and the loneliness without her consume me. I sat on the floor against the wall of the living room (I didn't have a couch, actually I didn't really have anything in the living room. It was just an empty room.) I closed my eyes as the flashbacks engulf me. 

I was on the field at school, Riley in my arms. I looked up as Lindsey approached us. What does she have to say this time, I wondered. 

"I'm having a party," she stated, "Tonight. Everyone wants you there, Nate." I raised my eyebrows suspiciously. I didn't like how she was only addressing me and not Riley. I slung an arm around her shoulder. 

"Is Riley invited?" I asked her. Lindsey looked down at Riley and gasped, as if just noticing she was there. I watched as Riley rolled her eyes. I chuckled a bit. Riley knew all about Lindsey's antics. I'm just glad they don't get to her. 

"Of course!" Lindsey cried with forced enthusiasm. I smiled.  

"Good." Lindsey winked at me and sauntered away. I immediately looked over at Riley. She was watching Lindsey walk away, shaking her head slowly. I put my hands on her shoulders gently. 

"I'm not going without you," I stated. She nodded. 

"Oh, we're going," she replied, "How many shots can you handle?" she finished. Man, I like this confident side of Riley. It was sexy. I laughed and shook my head. 

"I'm not drinking,"  I told her, and Riley rolled her eyes

I took another gulp of Jack, closing my eyes again as the familiar burn appeared in my throat. I guess 'I can handle a lot of shots Riley,' I thought. I remember that night like it was yesterday. That was the night that as*hole Grey tried to sleep with her. It was also the night she told me she loved me...  

We had just gotten back from the disastrous party. I swear if I see that b*stard Grey again I'll rip him apart. I heard the bathroom door being opened and my head snapped up. Riley walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my waist tightly. I tightened my arms around her, while she buried her face into my chest. I placed my chin on her head and stroked her hair, my fingers running through the soft strands.