Chapter 2

Picture of Riley--------->

Nate POV

"So I was thinking that we should string out this little deal we have..." Jack said. Oh shit. Not this again. "Jack, I've been working here since I was ten. Don't you think we've gotten past the point of stringing it out?" If anyone else talked to Jack Matthews this way they would have gotten killed. It's usually, "Yes Mr. Matthews, of course Mr. Matthews" for other people. But I unfortunately have known Jack for a long time. Long enough for him to think he's my big brother, and long enough to know that I will never get rid of him. 

Jack picked me up when I was only ten. My whole pack got destroyed by the Matthews' organization, but I guess Jack had the heart to keep me under his wing. I rolled my eyes. What a great guy, killed my parents and then raised me as his very own. He says he didn't kill me because I remind him of how he was at my age. Never. I will never be like him. My wolf growls just thinking about what he does. 

You see Jack had a mate, and he was very happy. He was actually part of my pack. Then his mate was murdered by a group of rogues, and he went haywire. He killed my whole pack, with the exception of me, and now vows to kill she-wolves so that their mates will know how he feels without their other half. Its pretty fucked up. 

I haven't found my mate, but I pray I won't find her for a long time. Jack may think of me as his brother, but he would have no problem killing my mate to prove a point. I know this for a fact. I tried to escape once, and he threatened me, saying if I ever left he would hunt me down and torture my mate until she doesn't know her own name. I was 15 then. I would rather my mate live a happy life without me than drag her into my dangerous world. 

"Nathaniel don't you like it here?" Jack said. "Jack, even you know the place is a piece of shit." He laughed at this. "Nate, don't you see what I have given you? A place to sleep, a place to eat, and don't forget all the women in the world you could dream of, if only you would accept," he said while rearranging his knives, making me sick. "Plus, we need you here. You can't bail on us," he added. 

"Need me? Jack, I hand out food to the prisoners." I would never be a part of what Jack and his team do. But Jack doesn't take no for an answer, "And you teach my boys how to fight. You're the best at hand-to-hand!" he said. 

"Mr. Matthews, the girl's here," one of the guards said. "Alright Jayden I'll be right down. We'll talk about this later Nate. Unless you want to come downstairs and give this one a go?" Jack winked and I almost punched him right then. 

"Im not hurting anyone Jack." He laughed. "Suit yourself then," he said as he closed the door behind him, eager to torture yet another innocent girl. 

Jayden sat down on the other side of me. "Fuck man, this one's gonna be bad," he said. I gave him a questioning look. "She's hot. Kinda looks like Lucy too," he added. Oh Fuck. Lucy was Jack's mate. If one of the girls even has the same color eyes as Lucy, Jack goes crazy. Gives her the worst beatings. I ran my hands through my hair. "I've got to get out of here Jay." 

Jayden is in the same boat as I am. He hates Jack and what he does. Except Jay's got a mate back home, and Jack can't know that. So Jayden's stuck here. 

We sat in silence for about a minute. Then I heard an agonizing scream from downstairs. Except this scream made me insane. My wolf was howling and wanted to come out to rip the throats out of the person who made that girl scream. A growl ripped through my chest. Jayden looked at me with wide eyes. "Fuck" he mumbled. 

As more piercing screams were heard I couldn't contain myself anymore. I ripped open the door and ran down to the basement were the girls were held. I slammed open the door and I swear time stopped. 

She was the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. She had long, sand colored hair that looked so soft, and her delectable lips were full and looked like velvet. Her skin looked so creamy, I wanted to run my hands all over it. No girl has made me feel this protective before. It was almost as if- wait. She's my mate. The girl who Jack was torturing, the girl who isn't supposed to be here, the girl who could get killed, is my mate.

This was going to be interesting.

Her tear-filled eyes were blue and looked up at me with wonder and admiration, it filled me with so much pride I wanted to hold her forever and make sure no one hurt her. Which reminds me why I came down in the first place. 

I let out a menacing growl. "Jack," I seethed. Jack looked up at me like he didn't have a care in the world. "Oh, Nathaniel wants to have a go! Go ahead man, she's all yours," he said looking proud. Damn right she's all mine. I'm going to kill him. Why would he think I would hurt my own mate? Realization hit me. I had a plan. 

"I'm ready Jack, I want a go," I said. My mate looked heartbroken and I wanted to punch myself. Calm down Nate this is going to work out. "But I want to be alone with her, if you know what I mean." I winked at Jack. 

Jack cleared everybody out at that point, the bastard was so proud. Now I finally had a chance to be with my mate and then get her the hell out of here.