"Sam, what can I do for you?" Harry came on the line.

"Harry, I just wanted to let you know that Jared phased. Pass it on to the others, okay?"

"Sure, do you need any help?"

"I've got this one. Thanks Harry."

"Sure...hey, how'd it go with your other little project today?" Harry asked. I laughed as I thought of the frozen dog treats I had almost bought for my lunch.

"It's still a work in progress." I replied before saying goodbye and going back to Jared.

"Who else is going to know about this?" Jared asked, obviously unhappy with the conversation he overheard.

"I guess that's something else I need to explain to you," I said, sighing. I then told him about imprinting, but assured him that it was supposed to be rare.

"So if we have it in us to imprint, that doesn't necessarily mean that the person we're dating currently is our imprint, correct? I mean you were dating Leah when you imprinted on Emily, right?"

"Yeah, that's right," I said, guilt washing over me again.

"I hope I don't imprint on Cheryl, because I would hate to have to spend the rest of my life with her." Jared said in disgust. I just laughed.

"So being a wolf, is that why you cut your hair?" Jared wondered.

"Yeah, it's too long in wolf form and catches on branches so I keep it cut short. You should see yours right now."

Jared reached up only to find twigs and leaves in his hair. He got up from the couch, saying, "I guess we should cut my hair."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure." Jared replied. After a few moments he added, "Maybe this won't be so bad. It's kind of cool I guess...you know, being considered a protector."

I just smiled and grabbed some scissors. I wish I had taken it this well.

The next day, I went to the supply store for another lunch and another Emily fix, but was severely disappointed when I walked into the building and saw Seth behind the counter. I guess as it was summer vacation Seth would be helping out in the store, but where was Emily? I walked over dejectedly to the frozen food section and grabbed an unappetizing looking Salisbury steak meal.

"So where's your cousin today?" I tried to ask casually.

"She left." Seth replied belligerently. Seth and I had always gotten along well. I knew he was furious with me though for hurting Leah. Even though they fought a lot like siblings do, they still cared and loved each other very much.

I felt a rise in panic as his words sunk in. Emily was gone. What would I do? I slowly felt myself begin to freak out and painful heat shot down my spine in warning.

"She'll be back tomorrow though. She just went to Portland for the day with my dad to get some supplies for the store." Seth added, eyeing my shaking hands warily.

I nodded and paid for my lunch, ignoring the strange look that Seth was giving me. I walked slowly back to work, barely aware of where I was going. I sucked in some fresh cool air, trying to shake off the feeling of dread that I had experienced. I didn't even feel anyone walk up to me until I heard Jared speak.