Chapter 18: His Shirt

The second I opened my eyes I was already feeling better. My side throbbed, and I looked down to find the bottom half of my tank top had been torn off and replaced with some sort of bandage that wrapped around my abdomen. I must have gotten stiches from Clarke.

I looked around to find Octavia sitting beside my bed.

"Hey," I said simply, my voice cracking.

"Violet, I knew you were going to be fine!!!" Octavia said reaching up to hug me tightly.

I was exhausted from all that had been going on in camp, and the black and blue bags under my eyes were proof.

"How long have I been out?" I questioned.

"A couple hours." She replied. "Bellamy carried you all the way back here."

"Oh," was all I could manage, trying not to sound too disappointed.

Where was he? I thought. I wanted him to be here so I could see him. I couldn't help but wonder why he wasn't here.

I could hear what sounded like a storm from outside the tent. The storm raged on outside, shaking the flaps of my temporary home uncontrollably. The pouring of the rain combined with the wind and thunder was unbearably loud. I had never experienced anything so violent, it seemed that the earth was protesting our arrival still. The noise filled my ears, and I tried to drown out the sound with my hands with no luck. I eventually sat up with much difficulty and groaned.

"The storm sounds pretty bad," I say.

Looking out through the flaps of my tent from where I sat, I saw others had been moving to the dropship. Probably a smart idea, I thought to myself.

"We should get inside the dropship," She says, catching me to it. "Are you good to stand?"

I don't reply, instead testing my strength to see. I wobbled for a bit, and my side burned.

"Yeah, I think so."

I began walking behind her slowly, my hand clutching my side. Just as I was about to head there behind her, I saw a light coming from Bellamy's tent.

"I'll meet you there," I call out to her.

She looks in the direction of Bellamy's tent and smiles. "Okay V."

My feet carried me there, and without thinking I pushed in.

I probably should've announced myself because of what I saw before me. Bellamy was standing next to his bed without a shirt on, his back facing me. I hadn't ever seen him shirtless this close before, but it made no difference. His back was perfectly sculpted, muscles rippling after his arms stretch out to lift whatever was before him. Water dripped from his hair, making it obvious he had just come in from the rain. My mouth felt dry, and I tried swallowing with much difficulty. Heat spread throughout my body, and I felt the urge to reach out to him.

Something stopped me before I got close enough though. It was probably the fact that I knew he would push me away. He always had in the past. Bellamy Blake had better things to do than to be with me, just taking one look at him was proof enough. We constantly bickered whenever we were around each other. He always seemed to control whatever I did, and didn't like when I challenged him for it.

At some point, he turned around and found me standing behind him. Lost in my thoughts, I hadn't noticed his dark eyes meet mine. He took advantage of the situation, and looked down at my figure. I was all wet from the rain, and hadn't realized my clothes clung to me like a second skin. His eyes lingered on my bandaged side, a scowl on his face. When his eyes returned to mine, they were darker.