Chapter 3: We're Not Alone

The start of our trek was easy. We were all just beginning to know the people we were sentenced to earth with, and it was exciting. Whispers and talk of other people in camp seemed to occupy some of our group, mainly Jasper and his best friend Monty, for the first half of our journey. Freedom was something none of us had experienced in a long time, and it was something all of us were taking full advantage of.

However, the look Bellamy had given me still replayed in my mind. I assumed the reason he choose me to look after Octavia was because he saw our connection and came to the conclusion that I cared what happened to her. This was all true, but the thing he didn't realize was I wasn't qualified. I was the clumsiest person on the Ark, and managed to break 5 bones in my lifetime all on accident. I wasn't even counting the numberless amounts of cuts and bruises I had sustained either. The fact that I hadn't injured myself up to this point in new territory was still surprising to me. Without that being considered, I didn't know how to defend myself. There was never any trouble on the Ark, with the rules being so well obeyed. It was either obey or die. Down here was another story, we were all criminals. I knew there were many people here who were capable of things I didn't want to think of.

I shivered and caught the attention of Octavia.

"Cold?" She questioned me, but I shook my head. "I'm glad you're here," she told me.

"Me too." I decided to respond with. "I don't really know anyone else, and it's good to have a friend."

"So, what are you down here for?" Octavia looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Long story short, I hit a member of the guard and it was all over from there." I said, laughing. I'm sure everyone here wouldn't judge me for that, as they all had pasts of their own.

"Badass," I heard Finn shout from over his shoulder. I smiled.

"You have to be a badass to get in the middle of a fight with a guy like Murphy," Monty replied.

You looked over you shoulder and nodded, "What can I say? I was born that way."

Finn turned around, after I saw him pick something from the ground. His hand reached for Octavia's face, and put flower behind her ear. I could see her blushing, and took a couple steps ahead of them.

"Now that my friend, is game." Jasper said to Monty.

"That my friend, is poison sumac" Monty replied with a sly grin.

He smiled as she made a distressed noise and quickly removed the purple flower from her fair. "They're not poisonous, they're medicinal."

They all seemed to have a good laugh, and Octavia playfully punched him in the shoulder for scaring him.

"Hey Monty, didn't your family grow all the pharmaceuticals on the ark?" I questioned, seeming to remember his face and name from passing.

"Yeah, you're right." He responded.

That would come in handy down here, I thought.

As we then continued our hike, Finn grilled Jasper and Monty about why they got locked up. I then learned that they had gotten caught taking drugs from the pharmaceuticals his family grows. I rolled my eyes playfully, but thinking it was a stupid reason to get locked up and possibly floated over.

We suddenly stopped when Clarke was crouched on the grand with finger up to her lips, signaling the rest of us to be quiet. I followed suit, and made myself as low as I could and still see over my friend's heads. Right in front of us was a deer. It surprised and delighted me at the same time. Clarke had been open about her doubts whether earth was capable of sustaining life or not, and this deer proved her wrong. This was the first time I had ever even seen an animal in person, as we had studied them in school on the Ark.