22: Sweet Revelations

Briar Rose was absolutely right to dread her journey all the way to the Salvatore boarding house. She tried as much as possible not to make a sound when she pushed the front door open but her tiny plan failed because the purr of her car's engine alerted her brothers anyway.

"Where the hell have you been?" She came face to face with Damon, who had an angry expression adorned on his face and was holding a glass of bourbon as usual.

Briar sent a sheepish smile and quietly replied, "New York, I needed time away from this hellhole."

She rummaged through her bag before pulling out an expensive bottle of whiskey and offering it to her brother, "I bought you a souvenir?"

Damon gave her an earful for about ten minutes about not answering his calls and text messages before he took the bottle out of her grasp. Briar Rose stiffened at the sight of her younger brother when she noticed him stepping into the room.

Stefan casted his eye down in shame, "Bree, can I talk to you in private?"

Briar threw Damon a glance before the latter shrugged and left the room in a swift movement, she approached the liquor cabinet and poured expensive alcohol into a crystal glass while Stefan remained frozen in his spot by the entrance. Briar looked at him expectantly before Stefan had the encourage to look at her in the eyes, "Well?"

"I'm sorry about what happened that night. I didn't mean—"

"Bullshit. You got what you wanted, Stefan," Briar glared at him, drinking the bourbon in one go before setting the glass down, "You got Klaus to send his hybrids away. You almost drove Elena off the bridge where her parents died in. You betrayed me. What did it cost?"

"I lost you and Elena," Stefan spoke quietly, his voice breaking and his eyes spoke of an unspeakable array of emotions.

Briar's hard gaze soften when she heard Stefan's voice, she knew she could never be truly mad at him so she approached him until she was face to face with him, "No matter what happens, I'm your family. Yes, we may fight and try to kill each other but we stick together."

After Briar Rose took Stefan's hands in her, both of them had tears falling down on their faces, "I can never forget the way you looked that night. You were so angry, I'm surprised you didn't try to kill me."

She scoffed, "I would never kill you. I mean, I'd love to try but I don't think you would like that."

Stefan smiled and pulled his sister in a hug. When she pulled away, Briar Rose gave him a questioning look, "When did you turn it on?"

Stefan pulled him and his sister to the leather sofa and poured himself a drink before he told her about the night of the Homecoming dance, how Katherine was the one who told him that Damon was in danger and she helped him disappear under the radar before Katherine left Mystic Falls.

Briar was not surprised by what Katherine did for her brothers, she knew that deep inside, the five-hundred-year-old vampire still cares for her brothers, even Damon, despite the countless times her brothers tried to kill Katherine.

Then Stefan told her about how he hid Klaus' coffins in the old witch house, Briar gave him a surprised look when she put two and two together, why she woke up there the morning after she dreamt of her vampire friend.

"Did Damon told you that I woke up at the back of the old witch house?" When Stefan shook his head as an answer, Briar Rose continued, "I dreamt of Kaleb that night then I woke up and I was there. I was drawn there."

Stefan has heard of Kaleb from his sister before although she didn't talk much about him, he knew just how much Briar Rose loved the vampire and how much his friendship meant to her. It broke him to see her so desolated when he disappeared a century ago.