18: Strange Connections

Klaus and Briar Rose were seated at the backseat of the SUV while his hybrids broke several traffic laws to get them to Mystic Falls fast. Klaus had informed the girl that it was Stefan who called him and that Mikael, the one who has been hunting the Original siblings for the past hundred years, was put down by Elena and the Salvatore brothers.

The Original hybrid had been on the phone for quite some time to instruct Tyler and the other hybrids to move the homecoming party to the Lockwood mansion for his father's wake while Briar dozed off after sending a text to Damon, saying she was coming home. They were on the outskirts of Mystic Falls when Klaus gently shook Briar Rose awake.

"We're almost home, love," Klaus cooed as he lightly tapped Briar Rose's shoulder.

The girl blinked for a few times before she recognized the familiar road lined with hundreds of trees. She turned to the Original hybrid who had a soft look on his face as he gazed back. Briar Rose could feel the excitement and worry radiating from Klaus no matter how hard he tried to hide it.

"Thank you," Briar Rose told Klaus when he opened the car door for her after they pulled up at the Lockwood's, which the hybrid returned with a smile.

It was still too early for the party but the hybrids Briar made friends with the night before had immediately ran off to help prepare. Briar Rose turned to the direction of the Salvatore boarding house after checking her phone.

She was about to leave in vampire speed when Klaus stopped her, "Where are you going, love?"

Briar furrowed her eyebrows, confused, "Home."

Klaus glared at her which made Briar scoff, "You can't be serious. I want to go home, Klaus. I wanna see my brothers."

"All in due time, love. I'm sure they'll be attending this lovely party we're organizing," Klaus pushed her to the direction of the Lockwood mansion instead. What Klaus didn't want Briar Rose to know is that he wanted her close to protect her from danger in case things go haywire.

"We? There's no we, Klaus. Actually, 'I' could spend some time away from you." Briar pushed herself up the stairs to lock herself up in one of the many rooms of the Lockwood's.

Klaus followed the girl's movement with his eyes until she disappeared from view. He saw Tony and two others with him and called him to his side, "Make sure Briar Rose doesn't leave the property." Tony nodded before giving orders to the hybrids with him to guard Briar Rose's door and window.

The preparations for Mikael's funeral wake/Mystic Falls High's Homecoming Dance have been completed. The live band, which was compelled by Klaus' hybrids, was already set up before groups of students wearing flashy dresses and suits piled up into the Lockwood grounds.

Klaus, himself, has worn a six thousand dollar suit for the occasion, not that it matters of course. He knocked on the room where Briar Rose was into, holding a white box containing her dress. When she opened the door, she had a towel wrapped around her petite body. She crossed her arms together when Klaus set the box down on the bed.

"Figured you need a dress, love," Klaus said with a teasing smile.

Briar huffed a quiet thanks to the hybrid but he began to tease her more, "I'm sorry, darling, I didn't quite catch that."

Briar Rose glared at Klaus even more which made him smile and laughed quietly. Klaus' smile halted to a stop when Briar Rose decided to give him a show, she let her towel fall to the floor. His eyes followed when she stepped closer to Klaus, which made the Original hybrid turn slightly red.

She smirked and tilted her head, "See something you like?"

Klaus growled under his breath as Briar reached behind him to open the box. He thought she was the most exquisite creature he'd ever had the chance to laid eyes on in all his hundreds of years living in this world but he was not about to tell her that, instead he continued to tease her by staring at her with a smile, which Briar find irritating.