Chapter 35: Touch Me Again

Start from the beginning

"It's ok Maggie," he forced a smile, "but, I do need some time and a bit of space. A lot has happened." He wiped his eyes, rubbing the sleep away.

"I totally get it," she began, "but... could we get coffee every morning? Just as a gesture of friendship in the meantime? I'll bring your wedding ring tomorrow or we can drive to my home today..." she just wanted to be around him, surrounded completely by his presence.

He shook his head, "I'm not sure Maggie. And we can get the ring today. I need to close a chapter in my book of life before opening another one. I'm sorry for wasting your time." He said and her entire demeanor changed. She didn't understand why he was basically breaking up with her when she'd shown him her love, again not to mention.

"Will I be in the new chapter?" She asked curiously, her eyes boring into his.

"I'm not sure." He said. Magdalene's heart sank. It felt like a hurricane arrived and began tugging at it and the air was knocked out of her. She stared at him in disbelief, the man she loved and needed. He returned nothing to her and left her confused.

***

Eleanor tore the chain off her ankle. She was going to do it tonight. She'd had enough of this unfair life and made plans to cancel it forever. The anklet rang for a couple of moments before going completely silent. The wrench she'd used to pry it off herself had scratched into her ankle and blood ran down her foot now. No matter, in a few hours she wouldn't even have any liquid blood, it'd all be dry by then.

She took a deep breath. She wanted the nightmares to stop. Her life was unfulfilling and unsatisfying. She wanted to join Josiah in heaven.

She grabbed a weapon and pondered for a couple of moments. Would people believe her death a second time around? Even with a body this time?

She looked at the clock.

1:03 pm. The sun wouldn't set for a couple of hours. She took a deep breath, cleaning her thoughts.

"Why is this so difficult?!" She complained to nobody and proceeded to prepare herself for the after life. She stared at her reflection for a few more moments.

Eleanor undead, the semi-famous model with a past. She truly didn't believe she could possibly outlive her past. She stared further, willing herself to do it. Fucking do it! Tears ran down her cheeks as she fought with herself. Attempting to justify her actions was harder than she thought.

Too much bad had happened. It outweighed the good or any thoughts of good that could happen.

As soon as she lifted the weapon near her, the doorbell to her apartment rang. She decided to ignore it. Besides, whoever was on the other side would not want to see her like this.

Whoever was outside was fairly persistent as they began knocking and ringing the doorbell loudly and nonstop.

She didn't want anyone to catch her and she wanted to be at peace with herself when she did it. She glared at her reflection, wiping her face before putting everything away and walking toward the door.

She had called Pure earlier, explaining her dilemma, but Pure was no help. She told her to keep striving for success even when it seems like the whole world is against you. But it didn't just seem like it, that was the truth. And then again, Eleanor couldn't think of another thing to do. She'd baked for a bit at Lavella's bake shop, she'd married a rich man and basically done everything on her bucket list.

Now it was time to finally kick the bucket at the ripe age of 23. She pushed her blonde hair to the side, her green eyes staring at her intently.

The doorbell rang again. She walked over to it and opened the door.

"Hi," she glanced at the short girl standing in front of her.

"Hi Ms. do you want to buy some cookies?" The girl asked.

"No thanks." Eleanor muttered before proceeding to shut the door.

"Wait!" The little girl put her foot between the door to prevent it from shutting. "You look sad! I think a cookie can cheer you up."

"Well, Aren't you a persistent one." Eleanor muttered, this was the girl knocking on her door until it opened. She probably wasn't going to leave until Eleanor bought cookies.

The little girl only gave her a smug smile before offering the brochure with cookies on it.

"I'll take some double chocolate chip please." Eleanor said, "just give me a second to get my wallet." She walked into the home, considering shutting and locking the door. No, a kind act could go a long way.

By the time she reached the door again, a gorgeous man stood beside the little girl. He had broad shoulders and kind of resembled Brad, but with blue eyes. He was also slightly taller and more built. She smiled.

"Hey, where'd the little girl go?" Eleanor asked as she looked at the man.

"Sorry, my sisters been pawning off people all day, not sure where she gets it from. You don't have to pay for the cookies because Missy is getting in trouble tonight!" He chuckled. Behind him walked out the little girl with a grumpy frown on her face.

"If you'd just gotten me an iPad, I wouldn't need to lie to people!" She said, glaring at the man.

Eleanor covered a laugh.

"Sorry about that, hope we didn't disturb anything important." The man smiled warmly. "And if you really really wanted cookies, I'd be happy to take you out to get some!" He grinned.

"So you're letting your daughter walk around and scam people?" Eleanor asked.

"My sister- she's a mess on her own."

Eleanor laughed. It felt like a real genuine laugh to the point where her cheeks hurt. He gave her a funny look.

"I'm sorry," Eleanor said through laughter, "I'm Eleanor, what's your name?" She asked the handsome man.

"I'm Elijah, but most of my friends call me Eli." He smiled warmly.

"And what's your name?" Eleanor bent down to look at Eli's little sister.

"Jessie."

"Nice to meet you both. You live in this building?"

"Yep! We're actually down the hall at 2B, you're free to stop by any time. Our mom makes killer meals!" Eli said. Eleanor smiled.

"And I assume you're still in high school?" Eleanor directed her question at him.

"Actually, I just graduated college, currently looking for a job hence why I'm living with my family." He smiled. "Anyway Eleanor, it was nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too. Feel free to stop by any time Eli," she winked at him, hoping he'd stop by that night. She hadn't had sex in a while and he was a nice piece of muscle that she'd love to spend time with. He was probably a year younger than her, but that didn't matter.

She stepped back inside her apartment and shut the door. Hope sprang inside of her. She walked over to the mirror she was at before with a smile on her face, putting any harmful items away. She would've regretted it if she'd done it, they always regretted it.

Hey everyone, just a quick side note. If you're dealing with depression or are feeling suicidal, please get help! It's okay to talk to people and to share these emotions. Don't bottle them up and don't hurt yourself! If you'd like to anonymously speak with someone about these feelings, you can what's contact the national suicide helpline.