Chapter9

"Damaged people are strong because they know how to survive"

Finally we arrived at the palace. I raced with all my mights to where Mabe the healer had her building in the palace. Carrying Almas in my hands, I noticed her pulse was dropping, even in her unconscious state she's battling with breathing. I began loosing my patience and senses with each passing second.

Nervousness and panicked completely captured my intellectual stability.

I knocked rapidly and the door opened. Mabe stared at Almas surprised with so many questions written on her face.

"Step aside!!! I yelled

She moved quickly and I entered placing Almas on a bed where Mabe patients stays.

"Gabaidu, she said bowing. "What happened? She asked pressing her fingers against Almas's neck.

"Will she be okay? I asked shivering

"She still breath. Mabe said checking inside Almas hair. "This is a case of internal injury. She must have suffered a hard blow on her head and her temperature is raising, I need to place cold towel on her body. Mabe worriedly said and quickly grab a calabash filled with water.

"please do whatever you can to save her. I said holding Almas hands panting out of tension.

Mabe nodded while squeezing the piece of cloth in the water and placing it on Almas forehead.

"Gabaidu you must leave she said staring at me closely.

"Why? I asked confused.

"I need to rub this wet towel on her entire body and I must protect the girl's modesty Mabe said.

"Oh. I shall leave then. I said with a last glance at Almas lying helplessly in bed I quickly walked out of Mabe's medicine room. I lean on her wall after closing the door behind me. I closed my eyes and slowly exhaled silently praying for Almas. I could hear Mabe doing some incantations to the Ibegwu

I must visit the harem at once. I thought and headed to see Mam sumi.

"Onuhiduh arrives at the harem!!!

One of the guards guiding the harem announced my present. I stepped inside the harem fence moving faster to Mama's chamber on top of the harem building. So many women stared at me while I walked past them and some of my former concubines made seductive eye contact with me but I ignored it all cause the only thing on my mind was Almas's terrible condition.

I arrived at Mama's  guest space and a maid greeted me and swiftly rushed to Mama's chamber to announce my present. I sat down on a couch patiently waiting for Mama. Soon she came out of her chamber smiling and genuinely pleased to see me.

I got up, bowed and greeted her.

"How are you my son? She asked sitting
down.

"Very well Mama. I said. She examined me closely

"But you look worried my son. Tell me, what bothers Iduh the Great.

"Mother, it's... I paused recalling how she hates Almas and she'll only scold me for wasting time on her. "Nothing, it's fine. I murmured and quickly got up ready to leave.

She stared at me with questioning look. "I heard about the wind turmoil which occurred in the palace last night. She said smirking. Oh no the news is everywhere.

I look away frowning my face, why she smirking? Almas is already close to death. At least have some sympathy. I thought and glance at her.