Chapter Thirteen

Sorry abt the late update :) I read a few Marvel comics about the Winter Soldier to get inspiration, keke. Enjoy the chapter!😄

______________________

"This is Agent Phil Coulson. Team meeting on The Bus in 10. Christian, please inform Iris to come along. Bring along whatever you need for 2 days. Wheels up in 15, we're going to Russia."

I hear the announcement from the earpiece.

"Iris, pack up for a 2-day trip. We'll meet outside my room." I inform Iris through Luis' channel.

I take out my backpack under the bed. I stuff two sets of clothes and my laptop into the bag. I change to a suit. Iris opens the door.

"Wow, looks like someone is going for a prom night!" Iris laughs. "I thought I'm just a guest of SHIELD, why do you need me?"

"Coulson's order. We're going on a luxurious Airbus to Russia." I grab my bag and head to The Bus with Iris.

Daisy, Coulson and Fitzsimmons have just arrived. There are two more agents whom I don't know.

"Christian and Iris, may I introduce Agent Melinda May and Agent Grant Ward. Both of them are from the Operative Division. This is Agent Daisy Johnson, inhuman hacker. They are Fitzsimmons, that's how we usually call them." Coulson gives a brief introduction to all team members.

"Hi everyone, I'm Christian Stark. This is Iris, my best friend." I shake hands with all of them, expect Agent May, who disappears into the pilot chamber."

After takeoff, Coulson asks all of us to enter the briefing room.

"As you all know, we are heading to Russia. We are going to the base where the Russians brainwashed Lieutenant Barnes. We have to go in and search for the book with all the triggering words, as well as take all the things that may be a cure. It could be a Soviet assassin base or a branch from HYDRA. Be careful. That's all for briefing, we have 30 minutes before landing. It's snowing in Siberia, bring along whatever you need." Coulson askes Iris and me to stay behind. "Christian, I want you to be in the operative division later, with Ward. Iris, I want you to dismantle the breach system with Fitz and go into the facility with May for any technical stuff."

"Yes, sir." 

I sit on the couch with Iris.

"Iris, I made you this after the first flight test. It's the same nano-tech suit, with navy and grey shades. I hope you like the color." I hand Iris a nano arc reactor pad.

"Oh, Chris. I love it. Thank you." Iris gives me a big hug.

"Chris, can you come to the lab?" Simmons calls from the earpiece.

"Yea, sure." It reminds me that Iris doesn't have the earpiece for SHIELD announcements. 

"Iris, I should get you the SHIELD channel for the announcements." I turn to her.

"Actually, I have it. I just didn't have a chance to tell you. I have a conditional offer from the Science Division. If I can enter MIT, get a GPA 4.0 for every year, and graduate with summa cum laude, I can be an agent right away."

That's unexpected. I am too shocked to respond, so I decide to ignore Iris and head to the lab.

"Hey, Simmons. What am I supposed to do here? Set up the drones?" I point at the drones on the holotable.

"I think Fitz turned on the security system. If you can handle 1000 watts of electric flow, you are welcome to do so." She breaks into laughter. "Lose up a bit. Not all SHIELD agents are like May. You're here to assess your new inhuman power."

"Okay, so how do I do it?" I walk deeper into the lab. "Wow, you have all the tech designs my dad created. This holotable, these machine arms."

I see Fitz glaring at me. His eyes seem to be telling me to keep my hands off the equipment of the lab.

"Don't worry, Fitz is just thinking of the cloaking of the Night-Night Gun." Simmons prepares the spectrum of collecting frequency data."

"Don't you think ICER sounds cool?" I say unintentionally.

Simmons mumbles 'ICER' several times, "That indeed sounds cool. I mean you can know its function when you hear the name. It does sound good."

She then moves two glass cases onto the operation table. Each of them has an accelerometer in it. 

"Later, you'll quake the air particles in the glass case. Don't worry about breaking the accelerometer, it's an advanced version by Fitz. We'll compare your results with Daisy's. Generally speaking, you should have a stronger power than hers because of your super strength from nowhere." Simmons fixes the position of the cases. "I need you to stick your hand in the case and use your power. Just don't break anything, or Fitz is going to kick you out of the lab."

I raise my hands into the case and start manipulating vibrations. The digits on the accelerometer escalate in light speed. Then, a small puff of smoke is released. 

"I'm sorry. I guess I broke your accelerometers. I'm leaving now, in case Fitz is coming for me."

Fitz stands up. He doesn't look like he's going to kick me out of the lab.

"Actually, it is expected. Daisy nearly broke the meter, but you just crushed it in a second. I know that this accelerometer is not enough to test you two's abilities. Anyways, welcome to the real world of Team Coulson." Fitz pats my shoulder and leaves the lab for a drink.

"You are always welcomed at the lab. He knows that you have two PhDs in both of our fields, he hasn't adopted the truth." Simmons returns to her desk for the cloaking devices.

I join Iris, Daisy and Ward in a battleship game. 

"I thought you guys would be doing some kind of preparation work for the mission." I place a white peg in at C6.

"Our only preparation is to enjoy life before every mission. We never know when is our last one." Ward says as he places a red peg at F4.

"Ward is right. But I think he should be testing out the Night-Night Gun now." Daisy puts her peg on A2.

"It's called ICER now. I heard it outside the lab." Iris puts a peg on B6. "C'mon, say it."

"You sank our battleship." Ward leaves his seat to the lab. "I'm done with this game."

I celebrate with Iris with a fist bump.

"Intersect destination in 5 minutes. Prepare your down jackets." Agent May makes an announcement from the pilot chamber.

Ward comes back with four SHIELD down jackets. He gives us one each. 

"Siberia's temperature is a no joke." He wears the jacket and puts on a pair of fingerless gloves.

"Are we skydiving again?" I ask while wearing the jacket.

"Yep, we're going to the garage for some parachutes." Daisy leaves with Ward.

I look at Iris. We both have skydiving experience, but we know it is terrifying to leap out of a plane from 15,000 feet. I wonder why we can't land properly once. It seems so common to skydive for other SHIELD agents.

"Don't worry, kid. I'm an old man now, I still have to jump out of a plane after years of field missions." Coulson comes by in a yarn hat and a pair of aviator sunglasses.

Yikes.

__________________________

I just realized that this chapter has 1220 words😮, my longest chapter. Hope you didn't fall asleep.😅

Tysm for your support!!! Luv u guys💜🧡!!!! I'm looking forward to 80 reads <3

Next chapter would be Christian's first official SHIELD mission. Enjoy!💙

xShawnM