Chapter 11

Ava stood facing her locker. Another Monday morning followed a weekend full of Key Club planning and Math Club practicing. She un-packed her bag and took out her AP Biology textbook and her novels for English class.

Someone tapped Ava lightly on the shoulder. She spun around with a ferocity that made him take a sudden step back.

"Whoa. Just me, just me." Evan took a few steps back, raising his hands. "Look, no crutches." He grinned.

Ava crossed her arms. Grin fading, Evan took that as a sign to continue.

"So, I wanted to explain about Friday."

"Friday? Where is this going, Evan? I'm going to be late to AP Bio." She was slightly miffed that he decided to talk to her right in the middle of the hallway. Out where everyone was watching.

Evan took a deep breath. "So, you already know the part about me having sort of telekinesis...? What I left out earlier was that it might be more than just telekinesis." He paused, waiting for an extreme reaction. The bell rang.

"Okay great... and?" Ava was only half listening. She looked at the clock behind Evan's head, marking three minutes until class started, giving her just enough time to lock her locker and sprint to her class. The wings were starting to get more and more crowded, and students gave the two odd looks as they passed.

"Yes, so on that night - the night I told you about - there may have been an accident with my friend. I may have um... accidentally turned him into a cat?"

"You what?" Ava forgot about her impending tardiness and all about the loud and tall students in the wing passing by them. Focusing on Evan at last, she repeated, "What?"

"A cat?" Evan glanced around as if afraid someone would hear them. In the echoing passageway of the wings, this would likely have been close to impossible.

Repeating the conversation in her head and belatedly realizing what he had said, Ava looked at him in major concern.

"You think you turned your best friend into a cat?" Her eyes widened.

"No, I know I turned him into a cat. Or something did, anyhow."

Ava sighed. She was definitely going to be late. "Evan, Simon went missing. He disappeared. The police don't even know if they'll find a body," she said softly.

She paused as Evan's expressions shifted from confusion to exasperation. "Evan, it's okay. I understand. Here, why don't we sit down?" She motioned to a bench a few feet away as she closed her locker door.

Evan backed up suddenly, shaking his head vehemently. "I'm not crazy. I swear, I'm not."

Ava's expression didn't budge as she began to look around for a counselor. She'd probably have to stay and explain the situation, but she figured the counselor would likely give her a tardy pass, given the circumstances.

"Ava, I'm not crazy. You saw what happened in the bathroom."

"Simon disappeared two months ago. I'm sorry, but I don't think he became a cat." Spotting Mrs. Riley walking by, she lifted up a hand, motioning for a bit of help.

Evan spun around, following her gaze. He glared at her and said harshly, "Of all people, I thought you'd understand," before running into the dark hallway.

Stunned and hurt by his sudden change in demeanor, she was at a loss for words when Mrs. Riley approached. She was able to come up with an excuse about Evan having to help push her damaged locker close and received a tardy pass.

She couldn't concentrate in biology, however, and found her thoughts drifting back to Evan all throughout class.